What's new

Do you allow friends to borrow your Blu-ray discs? (1 Viewer)

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Thankfully, my friends know how much I prize my collection and they don't ask me.

But I'm very generous about giving away discs I don't need any more or discs I know I won't watch again. The local library gets bags of review copies of reviewed discs I didn't like enough to keep for myself.

andySu

Senior HTF Member
Loan VHS tape of ALIENS to some Mormons, tape came back unwound and chewed up! That was the last time I loaded out anything!

Vic Pardo

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian Camp
andySu said:
Loan VHS tape of ALIENS to some Mormons, tape came back unwound and chewed up! That was the last time I loaded out anything!
MORMONS VS. ALIENS!

I'd pay to see that.

PODER

Supporting Actor
Real Name
PETER JABLONSKI
I'm always happy to share our DVDs and Blu-Rays with friends. The only exceptions:1) If I know it's irreplacable.2) If I've loaned something out to a person before, and it's come back dirty, smudged or with fingerprints.Apart from that, I enjoy discussing films, and this is a way to talk about lesser-known films, particularlythose from Warner Archives, Olive or Twilight Time!

lukejosephchung

Screenwriter
Real Name
Luke J. Chung
When I buy specific select titles, whether new or catalog, I purchase multiple copies to GIVE to close friends and family...saves me the trouble of being asked to loan them out and we stay friends and happy campers... :P

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Vic Pardo said:
I only lend out duplicates. And I usually don't get them back. But, hey, that's why I got duplicates.I'd actually love to lend my stuff out to interested parties who are gonna watch them and give the back within a week. If I could find someone who'd do that, I'd happily lend them films. I have tons of stuff that people would be interested in, but nobody cares anymore. All my young co-workers find what they want on-line and never bother with physical media anymore. I had female co-workers once, one of whom was an intern, who I got interested in Japanese animation, one in 2003 and one in 2006, so I would lend them Hayao Miyazaki movies and the like and they duly watched them enthusiastically and brought them back in a week and got another one when they did so. Never had a problem. But they're the exception that proved the rule. Of course I fell in love with both of them--how could I not?--but I had to keep that to myself. Oh, well... :(
I tend to date "greedy" women(If you get the inference) and I've never exactly been...say, monogamous (growing up hippie bohemian...)I was once not asked back for a contracted job cause my girlfriend kept showing up for lunch and picking up my female coworkers. No, they didn't have rules against that kind of thing...but when the office manager kept getting shut out...

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
lukejosephchung said:
When I buy specific select titles, whether new or catalog, I purchase multiple copies to GIVE to close friends and family...saves me the trouble of being asked to loan them out and we stay friends and happy campers... :P
(On a tangent).

Many years ago, I had one local friend who frequently asked to borrow my music cds. (This guy was reliable most of the time).

These days I just ask him what cd titles he wants and to bring over a large flash drive or external hard drive, where I rip the cds for him ahead of time. When he arrives, it only takes a half-hour or so to copy all the rips to his flash drive or external hard drive. (He frequently asks for more than 20 music cds I have).

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Yes. It's hard for me to turn my friends or family down, especially it they are excited to see a certain movie. Most times I get the movies back, but certain friends are not considerate and never return them until I ask them about it( which is sometimes more than a year later).

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
Bryan^H said:
Yes. It's hard for me to turn my friends or family down, especially it they are excited to see a certain movie.
Hence this is the main reason why I don't tell anyone offline about my hobbies.

The few times where family or a friend offline kept on pressing me further, after I had already stated that "I don't own the disc", then I just ask them to bring a large flash drive or external hard drive over, and copied the movie "files" for them.

I purposely make them go through the trouble of driving over to my place at an inconvenient hour, and dealing with everything on my terms. (Not theirs). After a few times of this, they usually didn't ask me anymore for "movies".

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Vic Pardo said:
I only lend out duplicates. And I usually don't get them back. But, hey, that's why I got duplicates.

I'd actually love to lend my stuff out to interested parties who are gonna watch them and give the back within a week. If I could find someone who'd do that, I'd happily lend them films. I have tons of stuff that people would be interested in, but nobody cares anymore. All my young co-workers find what they want on-line and never bother with physical media anymore. I had female co-workers once, one of whom was an intern, who I got interested in Japanese animation, one in 2003 and one in 2006, so I would lend them Hayao Miyazaki movies and the like and they duly watched them enthusiastically and brought them back in a week and got another one when they did so. Never had a problem. But they're the exception that proved the rule. Of course I fell in love with both of them--how could I not?--but I had to keep that to myself. Oh, well... :(
I just got back from a friend's, borrowing their Blu-ray of "My Neighbor Totoro". My niece is visiting and she likes Miyazki. They also lent me, without asking, a two-player board game to try out.

This thread is deeply curious to me: why don't people like to lend their movies? Sure not everyone has been emotionally scarred by movie-hating Mormons? ;)

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
DaveF said:
This thread is deeply curious to me: why don't people like to lend their movies?
In my particular case, it has less to do with movies in and of itself.

For me, it has everything to do with other people placing unreasonable demands on me, for nothing in return. I absolutely resent it when I have to chase after other people to get stuff returned, or dealing with people who will not reciprocate on previous favors I did for them, etc ...

These days if somebody asks me to do something for them, I drive a very hard bargain. (In a few cases, I even demanded a signed notorized statement). This is largely to get rid of individuals that I had previous bad experiences with.

classicmovieguy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Byron
I don't lend out discs because I can't always afford to replace them when they come back looking like ex-rentals from Blockbuster.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
jcroy said:
In my particular case, it has less to do with movies in and of itself.For me, it has everything to do with other people placing unreasonable demands on me, for nothing in return. I absolutely resent it when I have to chase after other people to get stuff returned, or dealing with people who will not reciprocate on previous favors I did for them, etc ...These days if somebody asks me to do something for them, I drive a very hard bargain. (In a few cases, I even demanded a signed notorized statement). This is largely to get rid of individuals that I had previous bad experiences with.
You need new friends...Hell, last weekend I got home with my girlfriend (took her car...as we were buying stuff in Chicago) and Miata and my truck were both gone.My kitchen counter had notes, at least, saying who had them...

Jari K

Senior HTF Member
All these recent threads remind me of BD.com. Talking more about our "collections" than films itself.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
schan1269 said:
You need new friends...
I don't make friends easily these days.

The last straw for me, was when my then-wife (now ex-wife) brought me to a Mensa meeting.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
Jari K said:
All these recent threads remind me of BD.com. Talking more about our "collections" than films itself.
Unfortunate, but not surprising at all.

In the past, I've found this to be the case in other hobbies I was previously into, such as

- comic books
- console video games
- board games
- etc ....

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
jcroy said:
In my particular case, it has less to do with movies in and of itself.

For me, it has everything to do with other people placing unreasonable demands on me, for nothing in return. I absolutely resent it when I have to chase after other people to get stuff returned, or dealing with people who will not reciprocate on previous favors I did for them, etc ...
I guess I have the good fortune of being reciprocal in lending. I give as much as I get. And those few friends that I'm lending with tend to track these things as well or better than I do.

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
I should add to my flat "No", above, that the question, in reality, is almost moot these days. As much as many of my friends are into movies, they aren't "like us" -- they don't collect, they never moved to Blu-ray, etc. (you know the drill) -- so, while they do admire my dedication and collection, this sticky situation doesn't come up. I actually know no one in my immediate area who has any kind of a movie "accumulation" any more -- never mind anything you'd call an actual collection.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks