What's new

Do you all ever get your ears cleaned? (kinda gross) (1 Viewer)

CalvinCarr

Supporting Actor

Tell me about pain. A couple of years ago a friend was pulling me in a tube and flipped me hard. I hit the side of my head on the water so hard that I created something like a blood blister in my ear canal. The doctor said I just had to wait for it to burst and that ot would hurt like hell and to sleep with a towel under my head. @ days later I woke up in the middle of the night in pain with blood ozzing from my ear. Sucked but it was nice to hear again though.

Scott Strang

Screenwriter

I read a letter to the editor in Audio Magazine back in the late 80's where man had gone to the Doctor to get wax removed. The Doctor used a water jet to remove the wax and it ripped a hole in the poor guy's ear drum.

Tom Rags

Supporting Actor
As someone who works in the medical industry, I know that it is very important that people be very careful about performing their own ceruman (ear wax) removals. Irrigation is a perfectly acceptable means of removal, but candling, picking, and Q-tips can be quite dangerous. It is not uncommon for someone to perforate or tear their eardrum.

For those that have a ceruman problem, I highly recommend asking if your doctor uses the following product:

http://www.earwash.welchallyn.com/index.html

You can learn a lot at this link for all of your "ceruman removal needs." Please remember though, "DON'T TRY THIS AT HOME" guys. It really is dangerous to take these matters into your own hands.

Scott Van Dyke

Supporting Actor

True Dat!

I'm forced to use the Otix Ear Wax Removal System: Found Here

I'll go completely without any sound coming into an ear, buy and use this stuff, and you would not believe some of the things that come out with the flushings. Absolutely a whole new world of sound after a few flushings, though!

I've been doing this for years.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
when i was very young i had to have small tubes put into my ears twice to kepp them from clogging.
ir maybe it helped them drain.
i dont remember.

StephenA

Screenwriter
Yea the tubes are to help the ears drain. I had 3 sets myself, and my hearing was damaged a bit from them and the chronic ear infections I had.

Julian Reville

Screenwriter
More gross out news: a few days ago I decided to clean my ears with some prescription ear cleaning solution we have here at the vet clinic. I put about 1ml of Clear-X in each ear, then flushed gently with a bulb syringe and warm water.

The feeling as the cleaner goes down into your ear canal is wierd. To my amazement I got an inch long goober out of my right ear, and none out of my left ear. Remember when Shrek pulled out an ear wax goober and used it for a candle? It looked just like that!

Last night I listened to some music throught the headphones, and the difference really was amazing. :)I can now hear almost as well as my dog. I just had to share with my HTF friends.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee

I think I'm the one who brought that up.

As for the Asian earpick, I have never been exposed to such a thing and I consider myself lucky :)

LanieParker

Supporting Actor
The only thing you should ever use to clean your ears is warm water. Never put hydrogen peroxide in your ears unless you want a bad ear infection. They sell these really great seringes (Luges) at health stores or just ask your doctor for one. I fill it with warm water and clean my ears out every 3 months.

I use to have the nurse at my doctors office clean my ears, but she (at the time) used HP and I was always getting ear infections because of it. Finally my Aunt (who is a nurse) told me never to use HP in your ears. She said only use warm water.

Never use q-tips. Never stick anything sharo or pointy in your ear. Common sense would tell you that.

Julian Reville

Screenwriter

I must disagree a tiny bit. I clean a shitload of ears as a veterinarian; granted, the ears are usually quite hairy on the outside and some of them are quite large, but they are still ears. Warm water is a good start on most ears, but it will not emulsify heavy wax deposits or the really icky nasty infected ears dogs get. H202 breaks down to water and O2, so it can't be that bad.
The stuff I used is a 6.5% solution of Dioctyl Sodium Sulfosuccinate (also used as a stool softener) and 6% Urea Peroxide. I have used it in dogs for a long time for really thick gooey stuff in ears, so I felt comfortable experimenting on myself. The really tricky part was using the bulb syringe, as I couldn't see what I was doing. My tech refused to assist and ran out of the room screaming. :) She missed seeing the ear goober. It's hard to get good help these days.

Joel...Lane

Second Unit
Real Name
Joel

You'd think so but after 3 or 4 showers I get out and it feels like the inside of my ears are wet and sticky from the water. I try to dry them out by rubbing the towel against the ear but it doesn't get in far enough. So I take a Q tip and rub it around right on the inside, not deep inside and it feels SOOO good.

I've never had my ears cleaned professionally or DIY. Seems like my hearings fine. My wife may disagree with that though. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks