What's new

do you agree with the show "x-play"? (1 Viewer)

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
hi all -

just wondering what you gamers think of the show. i always fast-forward through all their stupid babble, but i do like what they have to say with reviews.

it seems if they think a game sucks, they'll give it a low rating ... kinda makes me think they're being pretty honest.

anyway, just curious as to your thoughts.

ted

Jay Mitchosky

Senior HTF Member
I have trouble giving any credence to that show as the two hosts carry on like such idiots. Their inane comments drive me up the wall. Most of the time what's-her-name sounds like she's talking out of her ass.

I watch it purely for entertainment's sake and to see games in motion. Other than that I rely on forums such as this and reviews from actual gamers.

Dave F

Senior HTF Member
I like their reviews. Although they have a 1-5 scale, they really only have four ratings:
• Sucks
• Average. S'okay. Has some problems but is enjoyable
• Very good. You probably should buy it.
• Everyone should have this game.

I like that from listening to the review, you can _always_ tell what score the game will get. Their ratings usually match my impressions (with the exception of Deus Ex: Invisible War). Plus, they give most games a 3 (average), which is right where the majority of scores should be.

-Dave

Chris Rock

Supporting Actor
And don't forget the famous Adam Sessler voice:

"...we're giving Ninja Gaiden.......a Five............................out of Five."

Count me in as someone who likes the show. I love it when they review a game they hate. It's like they're real gamers. That's what I like to see.

Doug Schiller

Supporting Actor
I love the show but agree with the problems mentioned.

I think the hosts work well together, I used to hate when Morgan (that's her name) would review the game but she has some of the most humorous reviews in the show.

There is a little too much fluff, they could easily get one more review in.

The review ranking of "5" is too limited. 99% of the games that get a 5, would probably get an 8 on a 10 scale.

I Tivo the show so I may notice more (I can go through a typical show in 10 minutes fast forwarding) but they play too many repeats and they aren't up to date enough.

Most of the big games of the past few months are reviewed weeks after they are released.

Last night's show was the first time they reviewed Metroid Zero Mission.
They still haven't reviewed MGS:Twin Snakes.
What good is the review 3 weeks late?

All in all, a pretty good show, much better than the G4TV (Gamer's Network) version.

Chris Rock

Supporting Actor

Call me crazy, but I think you're nuts. I'm watching the show right now, and "cow" is the last word I'd use to describe her.

Does anyone remember back a long time ago, even before Adam did the show solo, and when it was still called "Extended Play" - he was paired with a real winner. Ugh.

Dean Martin

Stunt Coordinator
I usually TIVO the show also. I do like it and watch mainly for the reviews which generally seem to fall in line with what I find I like.
As for the hosts of the show, their is some inane banter but sometimes there is some funny bits, just like anything else. Adam can be entertaining. I don't care much for Morgan but I wouldn't call her a cow.
I mainly wish they would do more reviews. I also wish I could get the G4 channel on Directv so I could watch more game oriented shows.

Chris Rock

Supporting Actor

You'd only need it for a week, because there's about 1 week's worth of programming every 3 months. But some of it is good.

More reviews would be better though. I like review shows that show the games in action.

Doug Schiller

Supporting Actor
First, you will never get G4TV on the DirectTV because a cable company owns the network (you may already know this).

Three months is a exagarrating a little bit. There are some good stuff on there like Filter, Cheats, Arena, and Players. For being a full time video game network, they should offer much more.

How about tutorial shows? Level design shows? Console hacking, etc.

Dave F

Senior HTF Member
I wish TechTV would do something like that in general, as well. For example, they could have a series on Photoshop. They already do a lot of little segments on it, but they are pretty much worthless.

-Dave

Dean Martin

Stunt Coordinator
Sorry to ressurect this thread but I just noticed this in the news:
http://xbox.ign.com/articles/501/501906p1.html

It seems G4 and Techtv are going to merge and will be owned by Echostar & Comcast. Is this good news or bad for Directv subscribers? Are we going to lose techtv or gain G4 & Tech TV?
I read some posts on the G4 boards that seem to suggest Directv will have the combined channel.

Edit:
Here is an official FAQ. It looks like Directv will in fact get the combined channel.http://www.g4tv.com/techtvmerger/

Dean Martin

Stunt Coordinator
This is turning out to be a much bigger deal than I originally thought. from what I have been reading, Leo Laporte will not be hosting screen savers anymore. Sounds like a lot of changes coming. That's a shame because I wanted g4, but not at the expense of Tech Tv which I really enjoy.
http://leo.typepad.com/

Daryl Furkalo

Second Unit
Leo was leaving as host of Screen Savers long before the deal was announced. He was doing 2 separate TV shows and 2 radio shows on the weekend. I think he is just cutting back on his workload. He mentioned in Feb I think that he had burn up his holidays because of his new contract.

As for what else happens with the merger, who knows, far too early to tell.

Sean Moon

Senior HTF Member
I think it is a good idea with the merger, because as good as an idea as G4 was, it just didnt have the quality and quantity of programming that was needed. They could have gone farther with the format though, like an old school gaming hour or something, but I think that merging with Tech will be a good thing, as long as the programming is spaced out correctly.

Dean Martin

Stunt Coordinator

That may be so but from what I am reading on message boards and Leo's own page I linked it seems as though it seems to be a surprise to a lot of people.

Daryl Furkalo

Second Unit
I think the timing of it is a little strange, and he has been there right from the start, so it is a pretty big deal.

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
Well here we are over a year later, so what do you guys think of what G4 has done with TechTV? .....guys........um........guys.......hello....

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks