What's new

Do you adjust your brightness/contrast between movies and games? (1 Viewer)

Tim Hess

Second Unit
I've had my Panny 47WX49 for over a year now, calibrated 2 times.

Been playing games in the 'calibrated' state, and to me they have seemed a little dark, not bad, but at times too dark to play.

So after fighting the urge to up the 'picture' setting, I lost and finally did. I can finally see the games I've been avoiding playing (mainly PS2 games) as the progressive quality of Xbox and GC games are on average, easier to see.

Anyone else have to do this? The whole 'keep the contrast/brightness' down to avoide torch mode has me a bit worried to asjut it to play games.

WesleyHester

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John Hester
Yes I do too. Like you said, not so for the X-Box and Gamecube in Progressive but more so for the PS2 and Dreamcast in interlaced mode.

I calibrated my set myself and never have to readjust it for different movies or anything just different components. For example, my HD Satellite Receiver has a different black level than my DVD players and DVHS player so I have to raise the Brightness level up from 20 to 35. Not a big deal because I know exactly which values to set it to.

Your set may or may not be the same but I know my Panasonic HDTV doesn't have seperate memories to store the picture adjustments for each input. I have two component video inputs but their picture controls are linked together. So I can't have like INPUT1 set to 20 Brightness and INPUT2 to 35 Brightness which is inconvenient.

Eric Samonte

Screenwriter
Same here..different settings for DVD, cable TV and consoles with the latter having the brightness bumped up to see it better.

GlenHaag

Supporting Actor
I haven't had problems with most of my games with my HS10 projector. Although... Halo is incredibly dark, and I've had to adjust settings specifically for that game. Basically, I have one button setup for my wife to hit if things don't look right, and 5 for me and my games and movies. :)

Glen

Dan B

Screenwriter
I have to turn up my brightness setting for some, but not all, Xbox games. I haven't had a problem with the contrast.

Martin Rendall

Screenwriter
My set has been ISF calibrated, and I generally don't adjust for anything except analog cable where absolutely necessary.

The obvious flaw is that we have no idea whether the game manufacturers develop their games on properly calibrated displays. In fact, I'll bet they don't. (Just speaking my opinion here... does anybody know otherwise?). So, IMHO, there's nothing wrong with messing with your contrast and brightness to get the best gaming experience... even though I don't. :b

Martin.

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
The obvious flaw is that we have no idea whether the game manufacturers develop their games on properly calibrated displays.
Can't speak for other devs (or even teams), but on the team I'm on, all the TVs that our artists use have been calibrated to the same level of brightness/contrast etc using one of the test disks (Avia I think). Is it the "reference" calibration? No idea - we just needed a standard so the art looks the same across different TVs. Never The Same Colour Twice etc.

James St

Supporting Actor
I do all my gaming through one input on my set. I calibrated that input with Avia through my XBox. Looks great.

WesleyHester

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John Hester
Martin Rendall, that's good but if you have a HD Satellite with a different black level than your DVD players (in my case) you will be changing something, believe me. Game Systems are the same way unfortunately.;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks