Do we really need TV anymore?

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by DeathStar1, Jul 24, 2006.

1. DeathStar1

DeathStar1 Producer

With DVD and interactive entertainment on fast loading services like You Tube becoming the norm, do we really need 700 channels showing the same stuff over and over again?

I'm trying to convince my parents to downgrade to the standard family cable again. Once I got the IO Package, for the 70 dollar limit, I realised there was nothing really watchable on it. Sure, I'd watch a movie now and then...but other than that, I hardly ever look at it.

If I where to get 2-13, Discovery, TLC, Cartoon Network, TRavel Channel, and the GAmeshow Network, Plus the HD Equivilants, I'd be happy.

Sadly, I don't think I'll be changing the world to my views any time soon [​IMG]

2. AnthonyC

AnthonyC Cinematographer

I would love it if they changed the way billing worked, and you could subscribe to channels of your choice, at a specific price for each of them. Honestly, I would only get 7 or 8 channels that way.

3. MikeM

MikeM Screenwriter

The problem is that I would guess 90% of us would want the same 7 or 8 channels, thus either making the other channels extinct, or making it the same cost as what we're currently paying for many many more channels.

4. ScottH

ScottH Producer

Scott Hanson
    If it wasn't for NFL football and HD content, I would SERIOUSLY consider bagging my subscription completely.

And I don't see the a'la carte thing ever happening...and even if it did, as MikeM said, we'll still end up paying the same amount. However, I could see an episode-based a'la carte thing happening where you order up shows or movies by the episode (sort of the way pay per view and on demand works now).

5. MikeMO

MikeMO Stunt Coordinator

I think we do. As easy as it is to download tv shows either from yesterday or ten years ago online, and you can watch eps or clips of shows on things like youtube or put stuff on your iPod...personally, I don't want to watch an episode of, say, Scrubs on my 15'' laptop screen. I don't want to watch Jack Bauer on my 4'' iPod screen.

There's nothing better, to me, than relaxing in your chair and just watching whatever you want to watch.

I do agree, though,that I don't need 800 channels when I primarily watch a good 20-30.

6. Rakesh.S

Rakesh.S Second Unit

I'd rather watch shows on a weekly basis instead of blowing through them in 6 or 7 hour sittings..I don't have the time, nor do I care for doing that.

Plus I like watching my shows in HD as they air for free.

7. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

What Neil--no TCM?

8. JediFonger

JediFonger Producer

YiFeng You
    the other thing is you can get HDTV over the air if you have a tuner. and most of the HD movie contents are available on SD-DVD and in the future HD-DVD/BR. you're right, we don't really need TV....

but people always want instant gratification. so the solution is VOD. VOD will be the future.

9. Lucia Duran

Lucia Duran Screenwriter

As I do not own an Ipod or a laptop, watching tv from my living room is what works for me. We have cable, but out of the 100 channels we get I only watch maybe 6 of them.

WB
    CBS
    ABC
    FOX
    DISC
    CNN

10. LarryDavenport

LarryDavenport Cinematographer

The I-Pod is way too small for watching "TV."

Rather than subscribe to Cable channels I would rather subscribe to individual shows. For instance, during this summer I only watch BBC America for Life On Mars and the occasional Britcom, Sci-Fi for Eureka and Dr. Who, TNT for The Closer and Saved, USA for Psych, FX for Rescue Me, MSNBC for Countdown with Keith Oberman, and Comedy Central for The Daily Show, The Colbert Report, and Reno 911. That's around 18 hours a week of actually watching TV. Fall is not much better, but I would say the majority is from the major networks rather than cable.

11. JediFonger

JediFonger Producer

YiFeng You
    i believe we have a forum for HTPC's.

12. Phil Florian

Phil Florian Screenwriter

If we lack TV, we will lack content. Some of the cooler shows on TV are happening because we DON'T pay for ala carte services. Would there be a Comedy Central if for many years of low numbers it was included in package with more watched cable channels? Same with Sci-Fi. Same with HGTV and Food Networks. Same with FX.

If we only paid for shows that we liked how would we find out what we liked until we watched it? Sure, we would have a ton of cookie cutter reality shows as they don't cost much to make (not paying for talent, writers, etc.) but would we have The Shield, Battlestar Galactica, Lost, X-Files, Buffy, etc.? Genre shows would basically disappear since those are typically slow-build shows that gather an audience. Same with Daily Show and Colbert. Daily Show was a blip on the radar for a looong time before finding its true voice in the 21st century. It was just the show that aired at 11 PM for a long time, minus hardcore fans. In a pay-to-play era it would have died on the vine.

Give me TV and its billion channels as we have a better chance of finding the nuggets of good stuff with so much to choose from.

And count me in as one who thinks watching TV on a 4" screen (or even a 15" monitor) is ludicrous. Youtube is great and signals a new way to do entertainment but no matter how good "Vader Sessions" or other internet blips of the moment is it won't replace a quality written, shot and acted movie or tv series.

13. ScottH

ScottH Producer

Scott Hanson
    Count me as one as well. However...with the growing popularity of Bit Torrent, it is now possible to watch video on your large screen TV with just as good quality as the original (SD) broadcast, and in some cases even better.

14. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

David Fischer
    How is YouTube the norm for watching new content?

Is the new season of Lost on DVD so I can watch it now?

700 channels of repeated content? What about the Do you want the 8-30 channels of original content?

Perhaps real-time, broadcast over-the-air TV will die out for internet-protocal TV transmissions, or variations of of VOD. But we need content producers. YouTube and its ilk seems largely copies of the original TV broadcasts.

15. LarryDavenport

The quality of video on YouTube sucks. Wake me when they can do broadcast quality on a HD Big Screen TV.

16. Brent M

Brent M Producer

They'll get my TV when they pry the remote out of my cold, dead hands. Think about it: no TV means no "24" and Jack Bauer wouldn't be too happy about that! [​IMG]

17. Qui-Gon John

Qui-Gon John Producer

I don't really watch a lot of shows regularly anymore. Right now, SG1, Atlantis, BG, Eureka, the 4 week TNT Nightmare & Dreamscapes. Sopranos, when it comes back.

I am thinking of at least dropping Showtime, (I have HBO & Showtime right now). Ever since Sho dropped Dead Like Me, I almost never watch it. And most movies I prefer to rent the DVD, (or buy for some titles).

I would love a channel ala-carte solution. I'd probably chose about a quarter of the current available channels.

18. JonZ

JonZ Lead Actor

HBO for boxing after Deadwood is gone,Discovery & History and the like, Food,VH1........ummmmmm

I watch My Name Is Earl when I remember to catch it.

Thats about it for me.

Movie channels are useless. The same shit over and over and over and over again.Remember the old days of cinemax when you used to actually be able to see all sorts of different obscure films there.Cinemax was the best movie channel in the 80s and early 90s.

19. Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino Lead Actor

Joseph DeMartino
    DVD and all the rest are still secondary markets for television content that is created for other distribution channels. Until the business models change, there is not going to be any radical shift in the way things are made because if you got rid of "mere TV" there would soon be almost nothing to release on DVD. (Similarly movie theaters and theatrical releases aren't going anywhere for awhile, not least becasuse "direct to video" still carries a stigma in caste-and-status obsessed Hollywood.)

Regards,

Joe

20. LarryDavenport

I do think the possibilty of subscribing to a TV show via I-Tunes may become more common. And I think the consumer would benefit in that, if a show is cancelled, but their remains episodes in the can, the viewer doesn't have to wait for a possible DVD release (which is not a sure thing). There exist about a half a season left of Joey that all of Europe and Asia got to see (and many of the networks were dissapointed hwen NBC decided not to make anymore because, in their countries, it was still a highly rated show).