Do we really need 4-5 news channels for Mpls?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Drew Bethel, May 8, 2002.

1. Drew Bethel

Drew Bethel Screenwriter

I just find it funny that you can flip between four news channels and find the EXACT same news coverage. AND they all go to the weather segment within seconds of each other. Am I missing something or is this just plain silly?

Apparently they're all salivating now that they have news to report about the alleged pipe bomber - a Minnesotan.

2. Leila Dougan

Leila Dougan Screenwriter

3. Bill Balcziak

Bill Balcziak Supporting Actor

The alternative, you know, is that they drop news and fill the slot with drivel like "Real TV" or "Family Feud" or "Entertainment Tonight", etc. In consideration of that possiblity, I am delighted to have five stations carry the news at that time. [​IMG]
    Now as to whether the weather is anything other than 10 seconds of information expanded to fill a four-minute hole...

4. Michael*K

Michael*K Screenwriter

5. Kirk Gunn

Kirk Gunn Screenwriter

Drew - the reason you have 4-5 clone news stations is that their sources for national/international news are all the same, which is why so many people claim their is a strong bias.

Newspapapers are the same way. You can pick up a newspaper in Omaha, NYC, LA, Boston, DC, etc and find the exact same, word-for-word stories from the same sources - UPI, Reuter, AP, etc. With the exception of local and special interest stories, we are all being fed the same lines.

The most comedic news moment I recall was on the BBC Sci-Fi SitCom "Red Dwarf" where they had a hologram reading the news.... Can't wait for this to really happen. Would save these TV stations a lot of salary money, and probably gain viewers !