What's new

Do we have any idea what pricing will look like for BR/HD titles? (1 Viewer)

JasonB

Agent
I saw a link where pricing was mentioned at 60.00 per title for the first HD offerings? I hope that is horribly wrong info.

Do we have any idea where pricing will be for Blu-Ray/HD titles? Are we in for a revert back to the days of laserdisc pricing?

Most new release titles that I pick up on release day from the local BB or other stores are in the 15-24.00 range. Are HD versions really going to be double the price? This could completely change my decision to agressively enter the HD/BR market. :frowning:

Brent M

Senior HTF Member
If Blu-Ray and HD-DVD price titles at $60 we won't have to worry about which format wins out because they'll both die a horrible death fast.

BrianShort

Supporting Actor
I think $40 would be to much. $30 seems more reasonable for an initial rollout price, IMO. $60 would be insane.

Ken_F

Stunt Coordinator
Over on the AVS Forum, a dealer reported list prices of $29.99-$39.99 for the ~20 HD-DVD titles coming March 28.

That's not far off current disks, although we probably won't see the same level of discounting.

FrancisP

Screenwriter
The reason that the studios lost pricing power is because of the large markets that discounters such as Walmart and Target, to name a few, command a large number of customers. Yet discounters are the reason DVDs are a mainstream product.

When cost-conscious consumers see a list price of $19.95 and 29.95 guess which way they're going. If HD wants to be the only format then it will have to cede pricing power. If not then it becomes a niche product and SD remains king.

Yumbo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris Caine
I'm on the fence with DVD re-issues at $19.99.

Such as Ferris Bueller, and the Bruckheimer trilogy.
I'd buy them at $29.99 if they were day/date/SOON.

Any speculative advice?

Ed St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
Both camps are shooting for MSRP of ten bucks over MSRP of DVD titles.
Hence;
"Dealer reported list prices of $29.99-$39.99 for the ~20 HD-DVD titles coming March 28."
I hope they follow the super fast street pricing of UMD Video for PSP. In Nov. KB I on UMD was $29.99 at BB, in Jan. it's $14.99 at BB!

Kelly Grannell

Second Unit
I will only buy HD content (be it BD or HD DVD) if they are no more than CDN$5 more than the SD counterpart. Any more than that is just stupid.

Yumbo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris Caine
I suggest they lower the list by at least $5 on DVD, if they want us to look at HD.

Over time, cap DVD at $20 list. And then discount HD to $20.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks