Do tire valve-stem caps keep air in?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Charles J P, Dec 21, 2001.

1. Charles J P

Charles J P Cinematographer

CJ Paul
    I have had a slow leak in my front driver side tire for about 4 months, and I just keep fillin it as it gets low. I know I need to get it fixed... last time I filled it it was at 12-15psi :b My question is, that tire as well as two others were low (the others were not as low) two of the low tires, including the one with the known leak have no valve-stem caps. The third tire did have it, but it was a little low too. Barring anything strange, are the valve stem caps needed to keep the air in?

2. Denward

Denward Supporting Actor

I'm no expert, but I've always thought stem caps are important to keep your valves clean. Without caps, dirt can get in there and when you go to fill your tire, you may force dirt into the valve and cause it not to close properly.

3. Andrej Dolenc

Andrej Dolenc Stunt Coordinator

Correct, the valve stem cap just keeps it clean, it doesn't keep the air in there. The valve itself, with the help of air pressure from the air inside the tire, is what keeps the valve closed, and the air in there.

Also, changes in temperature will affect tire pressure. As it gets colder, your tire pressure will drop (unless you add air obviously). Though it doesn't sound like that's your problem...

Andrej

4. Tom Johnson

Tom Johnson Stunt Coordinator

The caps are dust caps and do not keep the air in. Have your tires checked. You may have a bad valve, but most likely there is a foreign object lodged in the tire.

5. James RD

James RD Supporting Actor

Let's not jump to conclusions. It could be an American object.[​IMG]

6. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    That's why I use presta valves! [​IMG]
    Oohhh, you're talking about cars... sorry.
    Jay