Do those fuel injector cleaning additives really work? And if so, which one?

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Kevin Alexander, Mar 23, 2005.

1. Kevin Alexander

Kevin Alexander Screenwriter

I'm looking to regain a little fuel and engine performance w/ my 2000 Dodge Dakota V6. It has only 25,000 miles on it, but the engine seems a little lethargic at times, and the gas mileage seems as if it's taken a nose dive lately. Has anyone had any positive experiences w/ those fuel injector cleaning additives that you put in the gas tank? If so, what do you recommend? ...Actually, I'd appreciate any unrelated suggestions as well. I'd appreciate your help. Thanks.

2. Chuck_W

Chuck_W Second Unit

3. Bob Graz

Bob Graz Supporting Actor

I use Gumout fuel injector cleaner when my cars start running a little rough and have had very good results with it. It's not particularly expensive either.I'd guess I run a bottle through the gas tank about 2x per year.

4. Shane Roach

Shane Roach Stunt Coordinator

Sea Foam is excellent stuff. You can use it as a normal fuel-system cleaner by pouring it in the tank, or put it in the intake manifold to remove deposits from intake runners, valves and combustion chambers. You can also add it to the oil to clean varnish off of internal parts, but most folks suggest that you only do this if you're going to change the oil within the next day.

I've used it in the intake on my 240SX and in the tank on my car and the wifey's Sunfire, and have had great results each time. If you do the intake method, be aware that you will have MASSIVE amounts of white smoke out the exhaust for a few minutes, and that much extra particulate (ages of carbon deposits being dissolved/burned off) tends to foul spark plugs and oxygen sensors. Be prepared to change those parts immediately after the treatment, but keep the old ones to swap back in if you do it again later.

Also, have you changed the fuel filter on your truck recently? If not, that may restore much of the departed power and fuel mileage.

5. Michael Varacin

Michael Varacin Stunt Coordinator

This may stir some debate, but it was recommended to me a long time ago to just use a quart of automatic transmission fluid. It contains many of the same detergants that the specific cleaners have.

I put a quart in a full tank maybe once a year with no problems. 295,000 miles, still going strong.

6. Jason Kirkpatri

Jason Kirkpatri Second Unit

This would be an accurate statement. The mechanics at the GM dealership I worked at previously used this method all the time on their own personal vehicles.

7. todbnla

todbnla Screenwriter

Todd
    Another vote for Sea Foam great stuff, odd name.[​IMG]

8. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

techron, comes in a black bottle and runs about 6 bucks, be sure it says techron on it, run two tanks through, good stuff. There's another less expensive chevron product that isn't as good. Autozone doesn't carry it but shucks/kragen/checker does.

as for ATF, sure I've heard of it used to flush engines (works good, 3 qts ATF one qt heavy oil, let idle for 30 minutes, drain, fill with oil and forget about it)
    but I've not heard of anyone mixing it with gas to clean injectors.
    same for sea foam, do they sell an injector cleaner also, or are you referring to the oil additive (which IS good stuff)

9. Shane Roach

Shane Roach Stunt Coordinator

Philip, I was talking about the Sea Foam Auto/Marine motor treatment (see the link in my earlier post), which can be used in the gas tank, the intake, or the crankcase. It can also be mixed 1:1 with gasoline for use in an injector cleaning machine that feeds directly into the fuel rail.

Sea Foam's site also lists a hydraulic system additive, bug remover, and penetrating lubricant. What they don't have is a FAQ section or info to confirm or dispel what I've heard about its use in oil, which is similar to the ATF procedure you described but in lower concentration (about 1.5 oz. per quart of oil).

10. RobertR

RobertR Lead Actor

So can adding Sea Foam be done in place of fuel system cleaning at a garage, or in addition to it?

11. Mark Sherman

Mark Sherman Supporting Actor

I also had this done to my old car with 75K on it. Not only did it run better but the gas Mileage improved from 300 miles per tank to 360. Dont bother with the bottled stuff find a place that has a machine that can do this. It is well worth it.

12. Kevin Alexander

Kevin Alexander Screenwriter

Wow! You guys really know how to come through. Thanks to all! I was also thinking about replacing the fuel filter. Whadda ya think?

13. Mark Sherman

Mark Sherman Supporting Actor

that will also help but go with the pro cleaning and maybe a tuneup.

14. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

at 25k miles, can't hurt. Neither can fresh plugs.

15. Karl_Luph

Karl_Luph Supporting Actor

I too, have heard very good things about BG products from some respected mechanics in the know. Just personally, I haven't tried this one. Good thread, keep them coming.

16. Dan D.

Dan D. Stunt Coordinator

I'll second Philip's suggestion of Chevron Techron. Back when I started using it, it was very highly regarded amongst the performance car (Porsche, etc.) set. He's right, avoid the other Chevron fuel additives even though I think they say they contain Techron, just get the straight Techron. I used it every 3K miles in my '93 Honda Civic Si for 12 years (125K miles). Never had a fuel system/engine problem, and the car was as fast on the day I sold it as it was on the day I bought it. I'm usually able to find it at either Target or Wal-Mart (can't remember) for a decent price.

17. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

if you really want them clean, you can send them out and have them cleaned and balanced. This guy is supposed to do a good job for the cost, but I haven't used him

http://www.cruzinperformance.com

18. Marc_Sulinski

Marc_Sulinski Supporting Actor

I know it is slightly different, but has anyone had experience with motor silk http://www.evergreenamerica.com/ ? It is supposed to reduce friction therefore reduce fuel usage and increase performance.