What's new

Do they still make Cabinet TV's? My Gramps insists on having one. (1 Viewer)

Cassy_w

Second Unit
OK, so my husband and I are in CT visiting my grandparents for Thanksgiving and Gramps wants a new TV. But he insists on a Cabinet model, of which I have not seen in years. Not at Sears, Circuit City, Best Buy, Tweeter, nowhere.

So, are these things even made anymore? if so, are they crap? he wants a 32 inch model, though he really should have a 36 inch model considering the size of his living room and the viewing distance.

He lives in the central part of CT and wants to buy from a local dealer, despite their not having any cabinet models at all. Boy oh boy. :frowning:

Anyone know any options here?

Andrew Pratt

Senior HTF Member
A few years ago we had the tube replaced in my wifes great aunt's cabinate TV so yes it is possible but you'll pay a premium over a regular TV.

Cassy_w

Second Unit
I tried explaining it to him. But at 84, he is ALWAYS right and anyone else is wrong. It's like telling a brick wall to get out of your way. :frowning: There are some 27 inch models at two local TV repair shops listed as new, but they have been in the stores for 1 to 2 years, collecting dust. And they cost twice as much as a non console/cabinet model.

It's insane.

I think I may have to find a stand/entertainment center that will fit perfectly around a TV, so that he can place his VCR and cable box on top of the set. He refuses to have them inside a cabinet (and with his knees, I can understand why).

MannyE

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Manny Elgarresta
SO get him a cheap DLP FP and put the VCR and cable box on the table next to his seat. I'll betcha he'll like that!

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
He may be old, but he can still understand reason. Tell him the bitter, awful truth: TVs aren't marketed as furniture any longer. And that DTV is the future, and there's no stopping the future. Don't bother explaining 480p or 1080i; just explain that things have changed in the world of home video. There's this thing called "home theater" now.

Cassy_w

Second Unit
LOL! Yeah, that'll go over real well with the kind of guy who takes a bath once a week, whether he needs it or not. :laugh: I'll be seeing him tomorrow and will try and explain the bitter truth to him. This is one stubborn man. I love him, but oh Lord is he something else.

Dennis Heller

Second Unit
If you have a Rex Electronics near you, they have several models at stores around here. The man's 84 years old; get him what he wants.

Tim K

Second Unit
Most older people tend to be very concerned with the cost of things. Explain to him that a console TV costs twice as much as a regular TV. If he feels its worth the $$$ let him have his console TV.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Well, if there are no "console TVs" to be had, end of story. There are no "console stereos" made any longer, either.

The market has changed, and so has the equipment serving it. TVs, once regarded as appliances and furniture, are now engineered to be precision video components for use in a larger system. Instead of pouring their energies and costs into making solid-wood cabinetry with some video hardware thrown in as an afterthought, the manufacturers are now concentrating their efforts on achieving the highest-possible video performance.

It's a different world. Also, tell him just how nice-looking those sleek Sony WEGA chassis are. But it's the picture quality that counts.

Cassy_w

Second Unit
The only ones left at the mom & pop shops local to him are used 25 and 27 inch models and a couple Zenth 27 inchers that have not sold yet. They are very overpriced.

One reason he wants a cabinet TV is that you can just place the VCR and Cable box on top of it. He can't bend down or over because of his knees, so putting a VCR in a stand under a TV is a no go for him.

This is getting very complicated. I'm hoping my mother can talk some sense into him tomorrow.

Bill Will

Screenwriter
RCA also has them but they can only be had through little dealers & as you said they are over-priced. Also one of the reasons the older generation liked them was that at the time they usually had the best sound quality because they used bigger speakers & the speakers were futher apart compared to regular sets. If I was you I would first take a look at furniture places for a low type cabinet that would hold a 32 or 36 inch tv & low enough for him to be able to get to his vcr. I know I have seen them but I can't remember where & I've seen them that even have the VCR & Cable Box at eye level so he would'nt even have to be looking down on them. Good Luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks