Do they make a DVD or a CD that has the thunderstorm soundeffects in surround???

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mark Guidry, Jul 23, 2002.

1. Mark Guidry

Mark Guidry Stunt Coordinator

I am looking for a CD or a DVD (maybe DVD-A) that has the thunderstorms and rainforest sound type things on it but I want them in surround sound...do they have such a thing....if so where can I get them.

Thanks
    Mark

2. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

Depends on what you mean by "surround sound". If you're looking for 5.1, I'd scratch CD off your list as a possibility (the only CDs in 5.1 are DTS titles, and I haven't ever seen any EFX disc in DTS CD, although there might be some ambiance discs available).

If you're looking for just surround able recordings, almost any SFX CD with thuderstorms should yield some results in pro logic or pro logic 2, simply by the nature of the recording. I have seen literally thousands of 2 channel recordings of storms on CD- these are available from professional sources (for Film effects, etc) on down to "relaxation" type CDs.

I would imagine there are probably a few dozen freeware recordings available on file sharing services.

PS: Mark, I closed your identical thread in Music since you started this one here.

3. Jim_F

Jim_F Screenwriter

Mystic Moods: The Storm And The Sea (DTS Compact Disc)

Listed at digitaleyes.net, among others. I've got it, it's pretty cool. The storm part is quite realistic, and the crashing waves on the ocean sounds portion have made me flinch (my ears tell me I'm about to get splashed) more than once.

4. Steve Cross

Steve Cross Agent

5. Mark Guidry

Yeah I really wasnt looking for a CD...I really wanted it in true 5.1. I just put CD just in case I would have missed something. Thanks Jim...I think that is what I was looking for...and if any one else knows of any...or a place where I can find some different ones just let me know.

Thanks again every one
    Mark

Also Steave in that link they have a bunch of DTS CD's....will that play on a regular DVD player in DTS or do you need like a special CD player to play it?

6. Phill O

Phill O Stunt Coordinator

From what I understand, if you have a CD player
    with a digital output (coaxial or optical) then
    you can play A DTS CD through that output.
    Correct me if I am wrong guys.

7. Jim_F

Jim_F Screenwriter

Yep, using the digital out from a DTS-capable DVD player or the digital out from any CD player (including my 7 year old carousel) to any receiver or processor with DTS decoding will do the job.

8. Mark Guidry

Great...thats yall. I am about to get the onkyo cd player c-380 and I know that has optical out puts...so I will hook it up that way to my reciever. Till then I can use my DVD player. [​IMG]