Do the Star Wars (movie) novels coincide with the actual films?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dave H, Feb 14, 2002.

1. Dave H

Dave H Producer

The reason I'm asking is that the Episode II novel will be released about a month before the film. Will the book be exactly the same as the movie? Did the novels that came out near the original releases contain exactly the same story? Was anything different in the novels?

2. Greg_S_H

Greg_S_H Executive Producer

Greg
    They mostly correspond. There are some added shadings and, in a couple of cases, things are slightly different because of last-minute changes. Kind of like when lyrics on an album's liner are slightly different than those sung by the singer.
    Bottom line: if you read the book before you see the movie, there likely won't be any surprises for you. Some don't mind, but I personally wouldn't like it.
    One thing to keep in mind: some of the "added shadings" are not canonical. For instance, in one of the novelizations--ROTJ, I believe--Obi-Wan states that Owen Lars is his brother. Lucasfilm has recently said this is not the case. Also, ROTJ gives a description of how Vader became Vader. The jury is out on whether this will match Lucas's final version of the story. In all cases, the films take precedence.
    BTW, another option you might want to consider is the newly released Approaching Storm by Alan Dean Foster. It takes place right before AOTC and "feeds" into the new movie. I'm so adamant about avoiding spoilers, I'm even avoiding this. [​IMG]
    Hope this helps somewhat.

3. Geoffrey_A

Geoffrey_A Second Unit

Actually, Lucasfilm considers novelizations of the films canonical. The canon precedence order according to lucasfilm is: Film, Book, Radio. The film supercedes all, and if there is any disagreement, the movie wins. After that, the book is next on the pecking order, and anything the book says that is not proved incorrect by the film is canon. Then it's the radio dramas, anything they say that isn't covered by the book or movie is canon. So, until Episode 2 is officially released, Owen is still Obi's bro, and Vader still takes a lava bath. How long this will be the case depends on the nest two films.

4. Ron Eastman

Ron Eastman Second Unit

A couple of reasons for difference between the films and the novels are that the book is written before the final edit of the film is made and because Lucas allows the author to expand and add scenes to better set up the written flow of the story. The Terry Brooks novel of Star Wars Episode 1 was very close to the movie. One added scene that I remember had Anakin helping an injured Tusken Raider in the Tatooine desert. The novel also gave a brief (one page) history of the Sith which is now accepted as canon.
    For what it's worth, reading the book didn't hurt my experience with the film at all. Sure, I knew what was going to happen before it happened (I felt like Kreskin [​IMG]) but it was still extremely enjoyable seeing the film played out on screen. Ask any longtime Lord of the Rings fan if reading the books spoiled the film for them and I'm sure they'll tell you that it didn't.

5. Terrell

Terrell Producer

Actually, I believe Lucas himself has stated that Obi and Owen are not brothers. So whatever that's worth.

6. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Executive Producer

Terril: Absolutely nothing directly. Although he does make the movies, and the movies establish canon so... 89 days until Obi-Wan is no longer Owen's brother and Owen becomes Anakin's stepbrother.

7. Scott Weinberg

Scott Weinberg Lead Actor

So wait a minute...
    Luke is Leia's brother??? Whoa.
    [​IMG]