Do the Patriots have a QB controversy (Brady vs. Bledsoe)? I say, no.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by KeithH, Jan 28, 2002.

1. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Tom Brady goes down with an ankle injury in the second quarter of yesterday's AFC Championship game against the Steelers. Drew Bledsoe fills in, and the Patriots win. Not surprisingly, some reporters on TV are saying the Patriots have a quarterback controversy going in the Super Bowl next Sunday. I don't agree. If Brady is healthy come Sunday and can get a good number of snaps in practice in the interim, I say you have to go with him. I'm not sure Brady will be a better quarterback than Bledsoe in the long run, but Brady had a great season, and he should start. Although I am not a fan of the Patriots and do not follow their developments closely, it seems as though the team has rallied around Brady this season. Brady should start.

2. Dennis Reno

Dennis Reno Supporting Actor

I say no as well. Going with Brady during the regular season was a tough but wise move. This decision should be no where near as difficult.

3. Carl Johnson

Carl Johnson Cinematographer

Carl III
    Doesn't sound like much of a controversy to me, if the starter (aka Brady) is 100% come gameday then he gets to play. How could they possibly justify pulling the guy who got them to the Superbowl if he is healthy?

4. Brian Perry

Brian Perry Cinematographer

I think Brady will start, but I wouldn't be surprised to see Bledsoe come in after a couple series if the offense isn't doing anything.

5. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

I don't think it will make much difference in the game's outcome -- both Bledsoe and Brady are good quarterbacks with similar styles. The only difference is experience -- Bledsoe played in the Super Bowl blowout versus the Packers.

Since both QB's have similar styles, this also should not affect the Rams preparation for the game. It would be different if one of the QB's was more mobile than the other.

6. Denward

Denward Supporting Actor

7. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

It used to be a starter didn't lose his job when he got hurt.

But nowadays with the "win it all now" state of mind for owners toward their head coaches, it's more of a "What have you done for me lately" mindset that coaches have, so if you're a starting QB, you better not get hurt because you might not get your job back (unless the back-up gets hurt, like in Sunday's game).

8. PatrickM

PatrickM Screenwriter

I think the question should be is Brady healthy enough to play since its only a week away instead of the usual two weeks. He got a high ankle sprain it seems and those don't heal very quickly.

Patrick

9. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

If the Pats are smart, they'll let no one know who'll start for them, and force the Rams to prepare for both QBs, thus cutting down on preparation focus on just one QB. I have a sneaky suspicions that it'll be Bledsoe who gets the start.

10. Daryl Furkalo

Daryl Furkalo Second Unit

Well the same that happened to Bledsoe could happen to Brady, depending how serious the injury is. Brady was on the sidelines ready to go in if Bledsoe got hurt in the second half, so it can't be too serious. But the Pats just got to say that Brady is only 90% and they have an out to start Bledsoe. But, is it really going to matter against the Rams, 14 1/2 points already ...

11. Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina Executive Producer

Patrick,

I don't follow the Pats, but don't their QBs kind of resemble each other in style? I saw Brady beat my Raiders, and Bledsoe beat the Steelers, and they looked pretty similar. It's not like having a running QB vs. a pocket QB, like Michael Vick vs. Chris Chandler. That would be more of a nightmare for defensive coordinators to prepare for in a short week.

12. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

It's more like a question of QB tendencies. This year, there's isn't much on Bledsoe to go on, but he's got quite a rool or two of highlights and lowlights. The Rams have more on Brady's tendencies and habits, and would be able to scout him more. The other problem for the Rams is that both QBs are a bit similar, but probably have subtle differences that may trip up the defense by their similarities (if that makes any sense at all).