What's new

Do the new SVS "PCi" subs have built in adjustable crossovers? (1 Viewer)

Jeff_M

Stunt Coordinator
Title pretty much says it all. I checked out the website, but I couldn't seem to figure out whether the built-in amp has a crossover or not...

SVS-Ron

Screenwriter
Robert,

Given this is winter, we do urge that folks not run full reference level blasts with the sub still recovering from subzero temeratures on a UPS truck!

Other than a bit of time to come to room temperature, and some low level runs to get calibration right (the PCi's like all subwoofers greatly benefit from a few mintues of calibration with a sound meter) there is no "break in" per se.

Some folks report that the bass seems to improve as the drivers get some time to loosen up but we've not spent much time instrumenting this effect.

So, let the sub sit in the corner as you find your sound meter, take a few minutes to flip thru the manual, and dig out your Avia or Video Essentials DVDs. Stack up your demo disks and get ready. Pouring a glass of good beer is optional ;^).

As a footnote, and just to give you some feedback from those already using PCi's...The PCi's are pretty stunning subs, you should be very happy with it. You would think after having heard every sub in our inventory I'd get a little jaded. Not.

The PCi's are shockingly good, even to me. Broken in or not.

Ron

Robert Ma

Second Unit
Thanks for the info Ron. That is my exact plan including the beer :)
I have a question on calibration. I have read that many people keep their subs 1 - 3 db higher when using Video Esstionals. Is this preference or is their a known problem with the Video Esstionals sub test signal?
Bob

Jeff Brink

Stunt Coordinator
Hi Ron,
Quote:
"As a footnote, and just to give you some feedback from those already using PCi's..."
Who might these fortunate individuals be? Does this mean that some PCi's have shipped already?:D Or might these be the "beta" users you are referring to?
Is it the middle of March yet? No?:frowning:
How bout now?:D

SVS-Ron

Screenwriter
Bob,

Running a "hot" calibration is more a psychoacoustical issue. As bass gets lower and lower in frequency, your ear get's less sensitive to it. Many studies have been done on this. Our findings is that most folks find a gentle rise in response down low yields a more satisfying HT experience.

And who's to say, exactly, how loud an on screen explosion should sound/feel to a customer? Sometimes, if I'm not watching at reference levels, I'll STILL have my bass at reference level. Some subs get distorted and "peaky" as levels go up and customers revolt (rightly so) at "boomy" bass. You really have to try and get this sort of poor sound out of an SVS, just given the way they are designed.

The net result of this is that generally bumping up levels of the sub several dBs (at sub-reference level viewing) is going to give that "kick" folks are looking for.

Having said that, this is not a recommendation to take single CS subwoofer, and crank it to full reference level in a room measuring 25-35 feet, with something brutally deep/loud like Toy Story 2! You must keep your requirements/desires in check with the overall viewing level, the size or your room and the type of bass you are pumping thru. All this is the reason a simple calibration with a sound meter and test disk is so key. Doing this you have a repeatable point of departure that always allows you a point to which you can return if you find out you violated overall capacity of any sub with distortion or bottoming.

This applies to any brand sub of course, not just SVS.

Ron

SVS-Ron

Screenwriter
Jeff,

Nope they are all in-house users right now. The factory is actually running the PCi amps as we speak. I can count the number of production ready representative PCi's on one hand at the moment.

That'll change in a couple weeks. The flood gates will open and then the PCi "hype" will really start.

We try to stay fairly modest about our subs, but I really believe that when pre-order folks get thier hands on the PCi's the comments will be coming fast and furious. Given the price point, performance like this just hasn't been seen before.

Ron

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks