What's new

Do the new receivers switch between s-video & composite? (1 Viewer)

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
i thought they did, but someone else (on this forum) was telling me he didn't think so.

so, has anyone else heard of this? i could swear all the new receiver reviews i read state this as a feature?

tia

Elbert Lee

Supporting Actor
Most receivers with both S video outputs and composite will have a signal going through both. However, they won't convert incoming svideo sources to composite and vice versa. Pioneer's new 49TX will convert both composite and svideo to component and output all signals through its component video output.

Elbert

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
hi elbert -

thanks for the reply. just to clarify:

can receivers now take multiple format inputs (s-video and/or composite) and send a video monitor-out signal in either format?

in the past if you were running s-video, you had to use it for everything, both input and output. i guess that's not the case anymore?

i didn't realize that the pioneer could even convert to component...that's pretty cool.

Vishwa Somayaji

Stunt Coordinator
The new generation of Onkyo receivers do this. If you read the tech. specs of Kenwood sovereign receivers they also do that and more. The Kenwoods claim to convert the composite and s-video to component. I have not read any user comment validating this, yet.

Tina_H_V

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tina
Hello Teddy. Here is a fellow Sacramentan who has just gotten herself into a brand new ballgame. (Pardon the pun, please!!! :b )
Yes, I do know of one such receiver which can do either one either way, taking either a s-video or a composite signal and outputting it through either one.
It is the receiver I now happen to be a proud nubi owner of: The Onkyo TX-DS797!!!!
Yes, I am running everything through my monitor's s-video input, DVD and all, until I add a new HDTV-type monitor next year. And I tell you, Ted, the picture is not only great for all of my s-video connections, but also my composite video connections as well, my AT&T cablebox and my 406 LD player, which is composite-video out only. The effort is flawless. I am truly enjoying it.
Yes, I am sure there are others which do this switching. But I do indeed know of one; the 797, which also, of course, sounds great as well. ;)
So far, so good. :)

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
Hi Tina!
Nice to meet ya! It's nice to know that another Sacto "local" is in the house! If you're ever in the Roseville area gimme a shout! :)
Thanks for the info (as well as to the other posters).

Ken Seeber

Supporting Actor
Ted,

Just to clarify, it differs from receiver to receiver. Not all are created equal, nor do they all share the same features.

Allan Jayne

Senior HTF Member
How good is the composite when it comes out of the receive as component video? Is it free of dot crawl between patches of contrasting colors? Does the VE or AVIA resolution pattern show the upright wedge with clear converging lines without a patch of rainbowy mess halfway up? Connect a DVD player briefly using composite to try this out.
The receiver must have a very good comb filter inside it otherwise the composite won't come out well as S-video or component video. Does the receiver instructions or advertising brochure say anything about a comb filter?
Other video hints:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks