What's new

Do the good games actually ruin your gaming experience (1 Viewer)

Mark_Arelius

Auditioning
Last week we rented Metroid Prime ( started out a little clunky and so-so but developed into an amazing game that left you trying to beat the Omega Pirate at 2:00am for the 4th straight hour) and Splinter Cell ( what fun it is NOT to kill anyone in a beautiful, stunning enviornment).

So we have to return these "rentals" and the only thing new to rent in their places are " Die Hard" and " James Bond Nightfire". Well we could not even make it through Die hards training missions without shuting it down for lack of graphics and good gameplay, James Bond actually survived 2 missions before we were bored beyond belief.

I thought Enclave and Halo had ruined it for me but could still find enough interest to finish games like Medal of Honor without getting too un-interested. Now , I am not sure I will be able to gag through another FPS until "Doom 3" Hits the shelves.

While great games are exciting and fun while you play them, I have found they just ruin every other game that would have knocked your socks off just a couple years ago.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
You're supposed to play a lot of bad or so-so games so that you can appreciate the good games even more.

Joe michaels

Second Unit
Good games ultimately end up raising the bar for the future but I do agree, they can make other games seem shallow.
When I initially got GTA3 other games seemed less dimentional.
I had just gotten WRECKLESS the Yakuza missions and GTA3 made it look that much more like 'Just a driving game'.

Ultimately these games help raise the bar but they make some of our older library games outdated by comparison.

Adam Nixon

Second Unit
I had such high hopes for New Legends, as that was produced by Justin Chin's new team. Chin was responsible for Jedi Knight on the PC, which was essentially the Half-Life of its day. From what I understand, Legends bounced from publishers as a PC title until it ended up on X-Box -- I hope they have a better product next time.

Kelley_B

Senior HTF Member

There won't be a next time, his company Infinite Machine shut their doors shortly after releasing New Legends.

EdR

Second Unit
Good games don't ruin my gaming experience...it's more like bad games remind me of how much I appreciate good games ;)

Duane Robinson

Second Unit
You're supposed to play a lot of bad or so-so games so that you can appreciate the good games even more.
No disrespect Morgan but that is one of the silliest things I have ever heard. As consumers we're supposed to expect every game to be a Halo or Metroid Prime. With all the hardware power and money available to developers we shouldn't have to accept crappy, jaggy, uninspired games just to satisfy our gaming needs. I don't see this in any other industry, so why is it that gamers are so much more forgiving of mediocrity and sometimes just plain out horrible quality. It's this attitude that has developers churning out tripe game after tripe game instead of taking the time to make a quality product. I guess I'm different but when I experience something of high all-around quality it's pretty damn hard for me to settle for something that doesn't match up unless it completely excels in one area while lacking in a few others.

I mean if a team of only 9 people can make a game as fun, beautiful, and as highly polished as Deathrow for Xbox I don't see why other developers shouldn't be making the same kind of quality for all the systems. Especially when some of these teams have staff numbering in the hundreds. I mean, looking at some of these game credits seems like you're looking at a Hollywood production or something. Is the level of skill so limited in the videogame industry that only a select few can produce quality games despite having decent budgets.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
I was half joking. You really should BUY only the great games out there, but you should still PLAY (demo, friend's house, but not rent/buy) bad games so you can appreciate the truly great ones.

Evan S

Senior HTF Member
I don't have time to play bad games. Honestly, I wait for a LOT of feedback on a game before I go out and buy it. I have had my X-Box for about 8 months and I don't even buy one game a month. Every title I have gotten was very well reviewed and has provided me with hours of enjoyment. I don't even go out and rent titles I have a question about because my gaming time is limited and I want the best experience possible. That's what makes forums like this one and others so valuable. They save me countless hours of wasted gameplay and $$$

My titles...
Morrowind
Splinter Cell
Halo
World Series Baseball
NFL 2K3
Oddworld
NHL Hitz

Mark Evans

Supporting Actor
Actually Duane, Morgan does have a point. While I wouldn't want to do it often, the occasional dose of gaming that is so mind-numbingly wretched makes you really appreciate what the bigger companies are able to do. That one time I played the Chester Cheetah game for SNES comes to mind :D.
Another side benefit, you can often find games that passed you by and experience them for the first time. The greatness of Chrono Cross is a good example of one I was priveleged to enjoy.
However, as far as the original post goes, I guess you and I see it a bit differently Mark (most schizophrenic conversation ever). If a game is really sock-knocking-off worthy, it'll still do that years from now.
I find it unfortunate that people get so hamstrung by graphics that they never see the value of good solid core gameplay. Once I have a decent job I'm going to go buy a P-100 and slap DOS on the silly thing so I can use it as a retro-gaming computer. I have scads of good titles from the old days that are just dying for another go.
Case in point, if you hit the Toys For Bob website you can download the freeware alpha of Star Control II, updated to run on WinXP/ME/etc. Star Control II is one of the most underrated classics in all gaming, and you can get it for free! Free!
All a matter of personal taste mind you, but I never pass over anything just because its old. Ooh, this makes me want to install SimGolf...

Mark Evans

Supporting Actor
Thanks Joe, but I'm already very, very familiar with that particular site :D. I've gotten to play some amazing games thanks to Underdogs that I wouldn't have otherwise.
Told you I wouldn't pass over anything old :p)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks