What's new

Do SVS' need to be out in the open or... (1 Viewer)

Greg Hamilton

Stunt Coordinator
Are there any concerns when using a tubular design within a wall-wall/ceiling-floor entertainment cabinet (closed design)?

My wife wants me to get somebody to build the HT stuff into a wood cabinet that would essentially be flush with the TV screen and hide everything else. IE: speakers in framed cabinets with black mesh coverings and all trimed out in wood.

My concern is that with a downward or upward firing sub system I would not benefit from this design as opposed to a forward (sealed) designed sub (looking at the servo15).

Any thoughts or advice? thx. -gh

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
Putting any speaker inside an entertainment unit will adversely affect it (well except maybe inwall speakers).

The only type of sub you would want to put in a cabinet is a design where nothing was radiating sound into the cabinet as it would have the fewest problems.

In fact if you have to give into SAF and get everything built into an entertainment unit have you conisidered a DIY sub with a bunch of speakers designed for use in a wall.

You could get the Paradigm Reference in wall speakers built into the cabinet (SA-35 for mains, SA-30 for center, several more SA-30 or SA-25 for surrounds). Then you could have a 6ft^3 space (built very strong, have the cabinet guy line the space with heavily braced MDF or baltic birch) into the cabinet and install an Adire Maelstrom driver to act as the sub.

There are some other raw driver options that would be appropriate for the sub, and many other manufactures of in wall speakers to consider as well.

Charles J P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ Paul
I agree, if you want to go stealth, you need to consider using in-walls and a sub mounted in part of the cabinet with a grill covering the driver. Hit the DIY board and get some info about enclosure volume, etc. It just makes no sense to put a cabinet inside a cabinet, and thats not what they were designed for.

Richard Travale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Travale
You may want to check out This Thread . Obi has done what you are thinking with the sub woofer to perfection. As for the speakers, I highly recommend that you don't put them in wall or in a cabinet unless they were made for that type of installation. You may want to consider a set of true in wall speakers if you are really concerned about stealth.

Lito

Agent
if you have a closet or attic available, you might consider building an infinite
baffle subwoofer into your house structure. pretty stealthy 8-}
here's a link to the twelve shivas dancing page:
Link Removed
from reading some of the comments on a related forum on infinite baffle
subs, the above system must be amazing.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks