Do Subs hurt equipment, convergence, etc?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dan Lindley, Jul 25, 2001.

1. Dan Lindley

Dan Lindley Second Unit

Hi,
    so many people post reports that their subs rock their houses (or apartment neighbors), make pictures fall of hooks, etc, that it makes me wonder if all the vibration might actually hurt equipment -- and here I think of physical things like convergence and the like.
    Any thoughts on this?
    Dan
    ------------------

2. Steve_D

Steve_D Second Unit

Yes, in my personal experience I do believe convergance can be affected by shake-level bass. Some people believe it affects CD players, amps, speakers, other equipment also witness the large number of isolation products available.
    ------------------
    http://www.sdiver.org

3. AVspec

AVspec Supporting Actor

Mark
    I will let you know as soon as my twin SV20-39CS subs arrive as I have a Barcographics 808s FP and a lot of stuff in my HT room that already makes noise with my current two subs. I have a feeling I will be doing a thorough once over of the entire room and tightening and placing rub feet under the glass table tops etc…. [​IMG]
    ------------------
    -Mark
    **** Digital Vortex ****
    The Digital Electronic Site
    www.digitalvortex.com

4. Joe Casey

Joe Casey Stunt Coordinator

In my 2-ch system, ever since I got a pair of Vandersteen subs, I have my preamp (Cary tubed) isolated from vibrations because if I'm in the mood to swap tubes with a pair that are microphonic, I can get some wicked feedback.
    ------------------
    Q

5. Trace Ahlers

Trace Ahlers Stunt Coordinator

I experimented with the placement of my sub in front of the RPTV. It has double rear ports and knocked my picture out of alignment pretty fast. I now have it in the corner off to the side-rear of the TV and the convergence is fine now.
    Trace