What's new

Do sub cables cause a noticeable improvement? (1 Viewer)

Ryan Leemhuis

Second Unit
I will be getting a Kenwood 100 watt powered sub woofer(the one that comes in the HTB-505 HTiB). Will a AR sub cable cause a noticeable improvement in the subs performance or is the normal cable that comes with the box set do a great job as is? The reason I ask is the sub cable is pretty cheap $15 and if it helped out the bass I would buy it. Thanks.:)

Mark Austin

Supporting Actor
I can't tell you if the cable you mentioned will benefit the performance of your sub. In my own experience, I have noticed benefits from "designated sub cables".

Joe Tilley

Supporting Actor
Ryan, I think about the biggest benefit from a better sub cable is shielding. In all reality that little RCA cable supplied with your sub will do just fine, but has little to no shielding against noise. One of the cheaper ways to get a good sub cable is to use RG6 coax cable & a pair of twist on RCA adapters. IMO the RG6 is a better way to go rather than spending who knows how much for brand X cable that will do the same thing but for 1/4 the cost.

Brian OK

Supporting Actor
Your best bet is to place your sub in it's most optimum room position before you fart around with this or that sub cable. You want out of the box performance in relation to your rooms layout first.

Placement, room dimensions, possible room treatments precede any cable considerations. Sub cable "upgrades" are for when you are bored with your sub ;^)

I "upgraded" my sub cable this past spring (from an old BC offering to a Belden 89259 Bolder Cables with Cardas RCA's)and did notice a "something", but I added room treatments and moved the sub a few inches so the benefit was, as they say, accumulative. :-0

BOK

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
I agree with the RG6 cabling, not only for subwoofers but for video cabling (component) as well, especially for long runs. I also agree that, except for shielding and possible hum induction, I have not heard improvements in the actual sub audio, though they may exist.

Ken Smith

Stunt Coordinator
In the past I've used Monster 300 sub cable. I then tried Belden 1694 RG6 coax with Canare 75 ohm RCA connectors. Can't say there was a big difference in sound, but the RG6 sure was alot cheaper.

Ron Reda

Senior HTF Member
I also upgraded my sub cable recently (from a Monster THX-certified cable to a Belden 89259/Cardas connectors Bolder Cables) and noticed big improvements. After some minor level adjustments due to the change, the previously boomy bass that I used to experience was replaced by tighter, cleaner bass.

Ted Ross

Second Unit
I agree with the above who reommend using RG6. Yesterday I replaced my old sub cable(3 12 foot audio cables held together with female-to-female adapters & tape) with 35ft of home depot quad rg6 +the connectors from rat shack & noticed a difference. In fact i had to recalibrate & turn down the sub-level 1.5db to compensate for the new cable. Total cost was under $20.00

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks