Do some projoctions have more lenses?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Scott_AH, Oct 2, 2002.

1. Scott_AH

Scott_AH Stunt Coordinator

I was in Circuit City today browsing their projection TVs when I found a Hitachi I really liked. I started talking with a salesman and he informed me that the reason it looked so good was because Hitachi puts more lenses in their TVs than other companies. HUH? I thought that all of them had three (with the exception of the DLPs and such). Now, speaking in terms of normal projection TVs, do some have more lenses than others or was this fellow just confused? Perhaps what he meant to say was that some lenses are made up of better quality components? I have no idea. Anyway, can someone clarify this for me??? Thanks!

Scott

2. Peter Hunt

Peter Hunt Stunt Coordinator

Hi Scott,

I think the confusion might be in lens size. The SWX and up have larger lenses then the base UWX line of Hitachi HDTVs. The larger lens are supposed to give more detail or something along those lines.

Hope that helps.

Peter

3. Jim FC

Jim FC Stunt Coordinator

Sounds like the salesman was trying to throw out some facts he didn't really understand. All CRT-based rear-projection TVs use three CRTs: red, blue, and green. But the CRTs are only 7" wide; there are a series of lenses on each projector to magnify the image. Think of a telescope, with a lens element at the eyepiece and a lens element at the end of the barrel. Hitachi loves to brag that their CRTs have one extra lens element (I think they use five instead of four), as it supposedly improves edge detail. I've never seen it as I don't think Hitachis look all that good, but that's what the guy at CC was talking about.

4. Scott_AH

Scott_AH Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for the info. The answers bring two more questions to mind though:

Is Hitachi the only brand with the extra lens?

How are the lenses arranged (are they stacked vertically
    inside of three large housings?)

Scott