What's new

Do some parents think before naming their kids? (1 Viewer)

Leila Dougan

Screenwriter
Yee-Ming, I don't know of people who were named BECAUSE of celebrities, but I know 2 that share a name with a celebrity. .

Elizabeth Hurley (someone at work)
John Goodman (good friend)

Scott Wong

Second Unit
Real Name
Scott Wong
Not sure about the whole celebrity deal, but I work for a major airline in the reservations call center.
I did have the pleasure of speaking to a Mr. Donald Duck... and no, I'm not joking. Before ending the call, I asked Mr. Duck to say 'hello' to Mickey and Minnie for me. "Ha! Like I haven't heard that one before", was his reply. The poor guy... :)
I've also verified reservations for:
Ms. Blu Penn (gimme a break?!)
Mrs. Candy Barr (gimme a friggin' break?!)
Also, a father called up and made reservations once for his twin daughters:
Miss Rain Gate
Miss Shadow Gate
You've got to wonder what people are thinking... but to each his own. ;)
Scott.

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
Craig:

nice one. at least it's so subtle that only fans would notice, and even then in day-to-day life no one would since the middle name gets dropped.

unless of course it's a coincidence and the middle name is because you/your wife/your son/someone else was born in/from the state of Idaho?

Craig Robertson

Supporting Actor
Yee-Ming,
no coincidence, we named him Duncan Idaho after the character. we had chosen Duncan and from the beginning i wanted Idaho as a middle name, but my mother-in-law had a cow over that. we originally named him Duncan Andrew (my middle name) but the envelope that the application form for the birth certificate was in broke open in the post office and was returned. we changed his middle name on the form to Idaho and didn't tell anyone.:)
the family found out a couple of years later when my wife called him Duncan Idaho in front of her mother and her mother said, "That name sure has grown on me, I wish you had really named him that." and we finally told them.:)
we do visit the state of Idaho often and he gets a big kick out of it (he's five).

Steven K

Supporting Actor
Actually, in some cultures it's not unusual for a person to have the same first and last name. I'm half middle eastern and have many relatives that have the same first and last names.
This is true... I went to school with a kid whose name was Judeh Judeh.

I'm 50% Lebanese myself, although nobody in my family is named in such a way.

Scott Leopold

Supporting Actor
My best friend, who bears a resemblance to Jonathan Frakes and is a big Star Trek fan, named his son Patrick Stewart.

Having spent a good deal of time on Star Wars message boards, I've heard of more than a couple people naming their children after characters from the trilogy.

While trying to decide on a name for our daughter, I spent some time on different baby name websites. I ended up being permanently banned from one when I suggested that a lady choose a different name for her son. She had picked something like Heather Breeze for her son. I simply suggested that this was a perfect name if you wanted him to get beat up frequently all throughout his school years. The next day I receieved an email from the site administrator letting me know that I had been banned.

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
Craig, maybe you should have tried for John Luke :D or maybe William Thomas...
and when do you plan on starting young Duncan Idaho on Herbert's books? :D
She had picked something like Heather Breeze for her son
goodness. seems to be carrying PC too far, giving a son such an overtly female name.
I get rather confused nowadays. a lot of names seem quite androgynous nowadays, e.g. Robin, Ashley, perhaps Lindsey/Lynsey, Lynn, even Lee. this leaves aside short-forms like Sam, Pat, Chris, and Alex, which are not androgynous in full length form either way.
then again, I should talk, my name is considered rather androgynous. can't remember the amount of mail I've received addressed to "Ms Lim Yee Ming" :D
(NB: my surname is Lim, Yee Ming is the given name. and Chinese convention puts surnames first.)

Allen_Appel

Second Unit
I went to high school with a Thorne Thorne. As my last name is pronounced like the fruit, I have always taken great care not to date a woman named "Candace". My mother wanted to name me "Adam Smith Appel", so I would be "Adam S. Appel". When my father was in college, a guy in his fraternity was named "T-Bone" (it was actually on his birth certificate; when he was born, his dad said he "looked just like a t-bone steak").

Dewitte

Stunt Coordinator
I work part-time at a Suncoast and a customer bought a copy of The Phantom Menace. His credit card read, and I kid you not, Michael Mann. I told him that I loved Manhunter but he had absolutely no clue as to what I was talking about.
I'm guessing he wasn't THAT Michael Mann :)
De

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
I have a gay friend who was named Richard Butt. He finally gave up and legally changed his last name to something else.
In college I had a professor named Harry Beavers, and two friends named Peter Wilde and Peter Gross.
Yeah parents are somewhat clueless about some things.
There's a woman at work named Kelly Kelly. However you can't blame the parents - it's her married name. She married some guy last name Kelly..... :D

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Allen,
(Sidetracking...)
As my last name is pronounced like the fruit...
It's spelled like the Dutch name of that fruit. So I guess your father must be of Dutch (or Flamish) origin. I wonder even if you're related to our famous painter Karel Appel :).
Cees

Jefferson

Supporting Actor
One of my favorite students was a girl
named "PRECIOUS GLORY".
Imagine calling her name in class, "Precious,
would you please bring me your paper?"
Absolutely true.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks