What's new

Do some parents think before naming their kids? (1 Viewer)

chung_sotheby

Supporting Actor
-My friend went to school with a girl named De Poon Tang.
-In middle school, one of the substitute teachers was named Mr. Bates, and whenever we called him, his answer was "all the time."
-In college, one of my professor's name was Scott Pardee, and when you called his phone, he answered "Pardee time."
-Probably the the worst name for the toughest man was Dick Butkus
-My Korean name is Yu Suk
-I once saw a hockey player named Manny Rammer
-I still think one of the funniest names in Anfernee Hardaway, as his mom thought that was how to spell the name "Anthony"

Joseph Howard

Stunt Coordinator
As a teacher I've seen a few interesting names. Here's some of my favs.

Sunny Peppers

Josephine Jo Josephs ( She went by "J-cubed")

Phyboon Thjyngthonack

Banister Wells

Angelina Puss

Kitty Purdy

Tico Saucer

Mitchel Mitchell

Steven Frodo Alouwishes Donn

Brent Snoop

Harmony & Melody Toone (Twins of course)

Blackie White

Red Brown (Ok, it was really Redfield)

I've got some more.... but I don't have my old
grade books with me.....

Rex Bachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Rex Bachmann
Quite a hilarious thread . . . . for me to poop on!
Stephen L wrote:
transparency said:
"Mulva? Mulva? Gladiola? . . . . Oh! Oooohhhh!!!! . . . . DeLORES!"
Jerry Seinfeld, "The Junior Mint"

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
Rex:
nicely said. but what Jeff suggests isn't so far off, considering if people really did name their kids after female body parts as someone earlier stated.
Brian:
my bad. was thinking of English football, and forgot that Law played for Scotland.
And there's a local courier company whose president is "Abbott Abbott"
Man United have two brothers called Gary & Phil Neville. their father, who is connected to the club Bury, is called Neville Neville. :D

Leila Dougan

Screenwriter
Actually, in some cultures it's not unusual for a person to have the same first and last name. I'm half middle eastern and have many relatives that have the same first and last names.

Moe Maishlish

Supporting Actor
Let's consider this for a moment...
Whatever her name is, she's a 6'4" basketball player. If people were smart, they'd think about making any comments about her name to her face, lest they want to find out what it feels like to be dribbled and tossed into a dumpster.
Case in point - Dick Butkys (sp). I dare anyone here to make fun of his name to his face. :D Make sure you have medical coverage before you try though.
Moe.

Rob Lutter

Senior HTF Member
One of my friend's sister's name in high school was Crystal Cleer :)
One of my teachers went to school with a guy named Richard Boner (nickname: Dick) :D

Rex Bachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Rex Bachmann
Yee Ming wrote:
[I said:
Ivan[/I]]Quote:
That's , but then again you've gone and re-analyzed the name into meaningful parts. Some other speaker could just as well have analyzed the "second part" as the verb cuss. To each his own.

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
I remember seeing the birth announcement some years ago for Chandelier Jones...I always wondered how that kid turned out.

Phill O

Stunt Coordinator
I was at a job site few years ago. One of the masons first name was Bong. Gee I wonder what his parents did in the 60s? ;)

Ralph Summa

Supporting Actor
"Mulva? Mulva? Gladiola? . . . . Oh! Oooohhhh!!!! . . . . DeLORES!"
Gipple? :D
Rob Morrow of Northern Exposure fame named his daughter "To". I don't know if that's the spelling he used, but you get my point.
My favorite personal notes:
I worked with Dick "Don't call me Richard" Harter.
My sister went to high school with April May June.
I was in school with three sisters named Spring, Robin and April. My father-in-law has April's daughter in his math class. Her name is Castle. Egads!

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
I was in school with three sisters named Spring, Robin and April. My father-in-law has April's daughter in his math class. Her name is Castle. Egads!
And yet, I'll bet many of them would prefer that to being one of twelve Jennifers (or Jasons :)) in the class.

chung_sotheby

Supporting Actor
Then again, there are always the actors the Phoenixes; River(RIP), = Leaf(Now known as Joaquin) and Summer.
I knew a family whose father's name was Woody, the older son was Chip, and the youngest son was Splinter.
Of course there is always George Foreman's kids to look at (all named George)
I saw on the Man Show when they had a guy named Harry Dick on, and he had a sister named Anita Dick

BrettB

Senior HTF Member
:laugh:
I hear she's really bright and has a great personality, just lights up the room when she enters.

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
in line with watching DAD a few days ago, I wonder if anyone surnamed "Bond" has recently named his son "James"? :D
I remember not too long ago I saw an article in the Economist referring to some policy wonk somewhere who was actually called James Bond.
anyone come across real-life instances of someone with a matching surname naming his/her child after a famous character or celebrity?
locally, there's an actor/actress couple who named their child "Beckham", after Posh Spice's footballer husband. a bit ridiculous, if you ask me, "David" would have been more subtle. oh well.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks