Do small towns like the one in 'DOC HOLLYWOOD' REALLY exsist?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Inspector Hammer!, Jul 13, 2002.

1. Inspector Hammer!

Inspector Hammer! Executive Producer

John Williamson
    Or are they merely Hollywood fabrications?
    If they do exsist, I want to live their!
    I also love the town seen in The Majestic. I've always had a facination with Norman Rockwell visions of small town America where everyone is friendly, and everyone knows your name and says hello when you see them.
    I often tire of city living. All the noise, crime, car horns, dirty air, police sirens, fire engine sirens, and unfriendly people kinda gets to me sometimes and I just want to get away from all of that crap and move to a place like they depict in films such as Doc Hollywood, and just about every Frank Capra film ever made.
    My ideal town would be like the one Chevy Chase devised at the end of Funny Farm, without the constant noise of Christmas carolers of course. [​IMG]

2. Jeff Pryor

Jeff Pryor Supporting Actor

PLENTY of towns like this in the South.

3. Blu

Blu Screenwriter

There are lots of small towns like that in the USA!
    They are usually very small, about 200-1000 people and located in probably every state!

4. Clinton McClure

Clinton McClure Casual Enthusiast

Clint
    I live in a town of 850 people. It's a little bigger than some in the movies but most everyone knows your name and says hello when they see you.
    There is a town not far from where I live with a whopping population of about 60.
    But, yes, Jeff is correct. The South is abounding with small towns like this. [​IMG]

5. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

"Next stop ... Willoughby." [​IMG]

6. Danny R

Danny R Supporting Actor

You mean towns exist where you can just stop by a lake and a beautiful naked woman will just walk up out of it toward you? [​IMG]

7. Bhagi Katbamna

Bhagi Katbamna Supporting Actor

Yes, they do exist. I actually worked with the author of DOC HOLLYWOOD--Neil Schulman at Grady Hospital in Atlanta about 11 years ago.

8. Tim Hoover

Tim Hoover Screenwriter

I live in a town of around 140 people. We even have our own Post Office!!!

And to answer Danny's question: Sometimes, beautiful naked women WILL emerge from a lake and come up to you, but that's a story I won't reveal...

9. SteveA

SteveA Supporting Actor

They exist, but for the most part, these towns are dirt poor.

10. RobertR

RobertR Lead Actor

Blue Lick, Kentucky was a rather peaceful place for me to visit.....

11. Van Patton

Van Patton Second Unit

I've been to plenty of towns like this in rural TN, GA, and AL.

12. Ashley Seymour

Ashley Seymour Supporting Actor

My wife is from a town of 790 in Minnesota. She probably could have lived her life there rather contentedly. I used to think I would have gone nuts. We visit every year or so and I have found that these towns have more to offer than meets the eye.

In the internet era, there are opporunities to operate a business that doesn't require living in a big town. Of course not everyone could do this, but I heard a talk show a few years ago where the owner of a large fleet of trucks out of Chicago lived in a small Iowa town. With cell phones, the internet, fax machines, computers, etc. he could be as effective as if he were on site all the time.

The small town in Minnesota was about 85 miles from the Twin Cities so if things got too boring watching the grass grow, one could always strike out for the Mall of America, a ball game, plays, concerts, etc. The commute for this activity was not bad.

Housing can be quite reasonable but you may have to do some upgrading from the the last remodel from the 70's and 80's. Paneling and sculped mottled brown high low carpet abounds.

What am I thinking? It is 100+ here, but I forgot about the -25 degree days in Frostbite Falls. If I was single, I would have to concentrate on indoor sports.

As technology continues to cut the ties to large metro areas, I get more interested in this small town option.

I don't know about babes coming naked out of the lake, but a hot frustrated Bridget Fonda would give me serious pause to consider a move.

13. Scooter

Scooter Screenwriter

Scooter
    I CRAVE a life like that!!!!!! Nude swimming hole chick or not!

14. Travis Olson

Travis Olson Supporting Actor

Travis Olson
    Those types of towns DO exist, I live in one. It's not to the point where absolutely everyone knows your name, but a lot of them do. Like anything, small town life has it's advantages and disadvantages. Movie theaters for instance, I can't just catch a flick in town at any time I want, the local theater only shows 1 show a day and on only 2 screens. But, I can have my astronomy hobby as the night sky has no light pollution.

Also, I live in a rural area where there is not another person around for miles so I'm pretty free to do whatever I feel like. It's nice to be able to turn up your HT and not worrying about some asshole calling the cops.