Do resistor wattage ratings need to match the driver's?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by VinhT, Mar 26, 2002.

1. VinhT

VinhT Second Unit

While learning about crossover components, I came across a site that recommended matching the resistor wattage ratings to the wattage of the driver in use.
    Here's the page:
    http://www.lalena.com/audio/electronics/rcl/
    I noticed that on some DIY sites that explain the crossover and list the exact parts, they use resistors from Parts Express with a wattage rating considerably lower than the driver they're in line with. Is this alright to do? I assume so since highly regarded DIYers do so, plus there's a scarcity of high-wattage resistors on Parts Express. Could using a resistor rated too low cause damage? For example, a 10W resistor would seem to limit SPLs somewhat.

2. Peter Johnson

Peter Johnson Stunt Coordinator

3. ThomasW

ThomasW Cinematographer

Vin

You need to understand where in the circuit the resistor is being used and what specifically it's being used for.

You're going to have a difficult understanding loudspeaker design by surfing the net. None of the websites offer a comprehensive understanding of the concepts involved in crossover design and implementation.

So do as you stated in a previous post, buy the Vance Dickason, "Loudspeaker Design Cookbook"