What's new

Do regular DVDs look better on a Blu-Ray player??? (1 Viewer)

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink
If your projector does the best processing of all your components, then your best bet would be to let it do all the processing, wouldn't it? Instead of feeding it the highest resolution you can, which involves using your player's lesser processor for upconversion, thereby degrading the image before it ever gets to your projector, why not feed it the native resolution of the video source? This will result in a less-processed image overall, and an assurance that what processing is done, is done by your best component.

Rick Thompson

Screenwriter
It may just be me, but while DVDs do look better on a Blu-ray player, they look better yet on an HD DVD. I have both, and they send to a 62" Samsung 1080p. To my eyes, the HD DVD output looks better than the Blu-ray. Maybe it's because HD DVD is closer to the DVD technology.

Or it could be just me. You pays your money and takes your choice.

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
To my eyes, the HD DVD output looks better than the Blu-ray. Maybe it's because HD DVD is closer to the DVD technology.

Or it could be just me.
Or it could (and does) have nothing whatsoever to do with Blu-Ray vs. HD technology and everything to do with which of those two particular players has better video processing circuitry for upconverting an SD-DVD. A good Oppo DVD player might blow both your players out of the water when it comes to upconverting DVD - because of superior video-processing. (See discusssion above.) BD players use exactly the same technology - red lasers - to read DVDs that DVD and HD-DVD players use. They only use their blue lasers for reading Blu-Ray discs.

Regads,

Joe

PaulDA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
Originally Posted by cafink

If your projector does the best processing of all your components, then your best bet would be to let it do all the processing, wouldn't it? Instead of feeding it the highest resolution you can, which involves using your player's lesser processor for upconversion, thereby degrading the image before it ever gets to your projector, why not feed it the native resolution of the video source? This will result in a less-processed image overall, and an assurance that what processing is done, is done by your best component.
The Blu-ray player is sending unprocessed 1080p (it would have to process the signal down to 720p). The cable box is sending 720p/1080i (depending on channel) and is doing no processing either. If you are referring to DVD output, my HD DVD player can output 480i over HDMI, which is then processed by the PJ. However, in that particular case, the HD DVD player is just about equal to the PJ, so I often let it do the processing for DVD (it's a bit of a pain to switch back and forth from 480i for such a minor difference--when it is a movie from which I want to wring the last level of detail, I let the PJ do it). My overall point was in response to the post that said it was ALWAYS preferable to send 720p signals to a 720p display. I've provided many examples where it would not be preferable with my gear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks