What's new

Do recievers need break-in time (1 Viewer)

ZekAllen

Auditioning
I just bought a Yamaha 3000 reciever and does not sound quite right yet and was wondering if I need to keep trying to adjust it or do it just need break-in time? I had a Yamaha 795A and the 3000 does not sound as good which I know is just not possible, I had heard that most audio stuff need break-in time.
[Edited last by ZekAllen on November 14, 2001 at 10:17 PM]

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
Hi Zek. Welcome to HTF! :)
You have been told an "Audio Myth". Related things you might hear is:
A) Your speaker wires need break in time
B) Your interconnects need break in time
C) Your speakers need break in time
The only one commonly accepted as true is C.
The speaker drivers have mechanical parts that DO loosen up in the first few hours of use. Review Magazines typically take a new set of speakers out of the box and play them in an isolated room for 24 hours before performing any listening tests. The sound will change over 15-30 hours in many speaker systems.
Modern electronics tend to not need any break in time. An electronic device with power tubes (like old Tube amps and projector systems) need some warm-up time, but thats a few minutes, not hours/days.
So why the difference in sound?
Did you run your 795 with any DSP modes? Try playing with the ones on the 3000 to see if one sounds better to you. Have you used a SPL meter to level-adjust the output for the various speakers (assuming a 5 speaker HT system)?
Also, check the tone-control and make sure it has not gotten twisted during the install.
And last of all: different electronics DO sound different. Norm was suggesting that you just have to get used to the sound and this is "your" break in time.
Good Luck.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Zek, welcome to the HTF. I don't know that there is any creedence in solid-state amps (pre-amps, receivers, integrated amps, etc.) breaking in, but I do observe better sound when an amplifier (or any component) is given time to warm up, especially if the room is cold to start with. I always give my stereo amps, front-end components, and A/V receiver some time to warm up before listening.
Last winter, I received an NAD C 350 integrated amp by mail. When I first set up the amp, it was very cold, and the sound was awful. The highs were extremely harsh, causing me to question what all the hub-bub was all about with NAD amps. However, letting the amp warm up by allowing it sit in my warm house and then having it turned on for a few hours caused the sound to improve greatly.
Many do say that tube equipment needs time to break in. I have an Ah! Njoe Tjoeb 4000 tube CD player, and while the player is excellent, I can't honestly say that I have observed break-in of the tubes. I am on my second type of tubes with that player and have not noticed break-in with either type.
------------------
My:
HT Pics ; Equipment List ; DVD Collection ; LD Collection
KeithH: Saving the Home Theater World Before Bedtime

JerryW

Supporting Actor
No, solid state components don't need "break-in" time, neither do cables or wires.
Some speakers, OTOH, do need it.
------------------
September 11, 2001
"Those who died will always be remembered.
Those who killed will never be forgotten.
We who remain will not let it happen again."

ZekAllen

Auditioning
Well thanks everyone my questions was answer by the receiver after running it for about 24 hours it open up and sounds wonderful and yes better then my 795A. The imaging was horrible and sound a bit muffled before. Now after 24 hours it sound a little harsh in the treble and a bit fatiguing, but even that now seems to fading. So now I know give the receiver 24 hours or more then really listen. Thanks for all your help.......

Z

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks