What's new

Do receivers require a special adapter? (1 Viewer)

Brian Harnish

Screenwriter
While doing some stuff for work (tests we're required to take on cyberscholar.com regardless of whether we're in sales or not), a question caught me off guard. In these tests (regarding speakers, TVs, etc.) I didn't read the material since I already know all about that stuff. Anyways, one of the questions was this:

Can a receiver function without an amplifier?

The correct answer was along the lines of: "only with a special adapter." But I have a receiver (no amplifier) and I didn't require a special adapter for it to work. Can someone clarify this for me?

DanielSmi

Second Unit
I see 2 ways to look at this Q. Both ways answer in yes. Either you can say the receiver doesn't need an amp because it has one built-in (that's what a receiver is pre-amp and amplifier all in one), or you can say that yes the receiver can still function without the internal amps it is equipped with then it will function as a pre-amp (which is just the signal decoding aspect of it) and you can bypass the internal amp and output the signals to an external amp, HEY NEVERMIND!!!! I just went to the cyberscholar site (i used to work at best buy) and you should've read before you took the test. The receiver they are talkin about isn't what you think it is. Here's what they say:

Receiver - A device that receives radio signals and sends them to the amplifier.

Tuner - A device that points the receiver towards a single radio frequency.

Apparently they are talking about a radio receiver, no wonder the answer wasn't making any sense. They were going at the home theater setup through the separates way with pre-amp, amp, tuner , receiver all separate, so receiver took on a different meaning very confusing though, you should've read it.

Daniel Smith

Brian Harnish

Screenwriter
Well...heheh. Oops. Should have read it. I'll go back and read it to glean some more info. on the technical side of things. Just goes to show what happens when I get egotistical about my knowledge. :b

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks