Do receivers die?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Alan O'Connor, Nov 13, 2003.

1. Alan O'Connor

Alan O'Connor Auditioning

My TEAC AG-V1200 receiver recently stopped working. Out of the blue it no longer works, when I press the power button on the front it will not turn on, nor will the remote turn it on. I have tried changing outlets and putting other electronics in those outlests and they turn on. So, is my reciever dead?

This receiver was used for a guest house, so If it is dead I am looking to replace it, but with nothing too special or expensive. I have found a Yamaha R-V1103 for $200 (US). Has anyone had any experience with that receiver, or brand? Any recomandations?

2. ChrisLazarko

ChrisLazarko Supporting Actor

Yes recievers can just "die". A transistor could have popped or something else could have just fried itself. If it is an older reciever then it might not be worth getting it repaired. A reciever I would recommend looking at for around the $200 price range would be the Harman/Kardon AVR-125 reciever at www.soundcity.com

It is refurbished but still has the same full manufacturer warranty and HK is very good on honoring warrantied products and products that are not under warranty they will usually fix for free sometimes as well.

Take a look at the Harman/Kardon AVR-125 refurb. reciever at SoundCity. It is a great bang for the buck and it will do more than you will need probably.

3. Jerome Grate

Jerome Grate Cinematographer

Happened years ago with my old Kenwood Prologic receiver, and I only had it for 8 months before I finally went digital.

4. JohnSer

JohnSer Stunt Coordinator

If you are not getting anything (lights, leds, etc) to come on, it may be as simpile as a blown fuse. It is probably inside the case though, which you should only do, if you are comforatable, with that. Was you last guest really cranking on it? [​IMG]

JohnS

5. Alan O'Connor

Alan O'Connor Auditioning

I took it apart, well I took off the case, to look for anything blown and could not find a fuse. The last time it was used, was by me, and I was using it quite hard. If it is a blown fuse where in the case should I look? What do receiver fuses look like?

6. Jerome Grate

Jerome Grate Cinematographer

Check by the plug or around the transformer.