Do receivers die unexpectedly?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Peter W, Oct 20, 2005.

1. Peter W

Peter W Auditioning

I have a Sony model STR-DE675 that has done a nice job for about 4 years. Last weekend the TV sound went out, came back after about an hour, and went out again tonight. Just to test the system, I put in a DVD and got the same result--no sound. For the last six months, the receiver has been housed in a cabinet that has a four inch clearance on top of the receiver. Any thoughts on what the problem might be?

2. Joe_G

Joe_G Second Unit

It could be that the sodering(spelling?)connection for the volume control inside the receiver has become loose. I've had a similar problem with my pioneer vsx-26 tx and am STILL having a problem. I've taken it into the shop twice for that reason and it started doing it again,for the third time, a few months ago. That and my DTS decoder is going bad - either in my receiver and/or player.

I'm hoping to replace my receiver in the next few months with a new one, probably not going to be pioneer after this experience.

Half the time when I turn on my receiver,I get sound. Half the time I don't. When I don't, I lightly slap the top of the receiver a few time and that usually works. Sometimes I'll turn it on and there will be no sound, then a minute or two later the sound comes on.

Anyway,when it happened the first time, I had no sound at all and that was the problem - the volume control became loose.

3. BillSuneson

BillSuneson Stunt Coordinator

Peter,

I've actually run into this problem with the Sony receivers before, I've worked at two different stores that carried the DE series and on one demo in both stores the receiver quit working and Sony told us just to put a different one on display without an explanation of what had passed (problem with QC?)

Joe,

What are you going to be looking at for new receivers and in what price range?

Bill

4. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

can you get any sound out of it all using other inputs (FM?).

5. Peter W

Peter W Auditioning

Thanks for the replies. It looks like I'm in the market for a new receiver! My home theater has come a long way over the years. This year's addition was a 42 inch plasma HDTV. I don't have go low end for a receiver this time around (like I did when I bought the Sony), so I am looking at mid to upper range stuff. So far, I'm looking at the Yamaha HTR-5890 and the Harmon Kardon AVR 335 and the AVR 635. My local Circuit City also carries Onyko (sp?). Comments and suggestions are certainly welcome.

6. Garrett Lundy

Garrett Lundy Producer

My Kenwood AVR just made a loud BANG one day while watching TV at a moderate volume. The front lit-up but no sound ever came out. [​IMG]
    So I went to the local REX (discount A/V/Appliance) and bought the cheapest AVR they had with S-video (Pioneer VSX).

$160 & 18 months later no problems......

7. Arthur S

Arthur S Cinematographer

Peter

The HK 435 has important features the 335 lacks. Also note that both of these are going to be discontinued in the next few months.

The Pioneer 1015TX has made a lot of people happy.

8. BillSuneson

BillSuneson Stunt Coordinator