What's new

Do receivers auto-detect DTS? Can't it to show up (1 Viewer)

Dan Belina

Agent
I've got a Yamaha HTR-5890, first receiver I've owned so I'm not familiar with the different output types it has listed in the manual.

Also, I should mention that I do not have a Subwoofer yet (my SVS is arriving Tuesday!), so I currently have a 5.0 system.

There's a long list of the ones that apply to me...either they don't mention 5.1 or 5.1 is mentioned. The others explicity state 6.1 or 7.1 in the description in the manual.

THX:
THX Surr + EX

THX:
dts ES + THX

DOLBY DIGITAL:
SUR Standard

DOLBY DIGITAL:
SUR Enchanced

DTS:
SUR Standard

DTS:
SUR Enchanced

DTS 96/24
SUR Standard

I'm watching Phantom Menace now, but I can't seem to ge
THX Surr + EX, THX: dts ES + THX, DTS SUR Enchanced, or DTS 96/24 to come up. I can't get the DTS light to light up on my receiver at all.

Are these buried in a menu somewhere or did I hook something up incorrectly? Is it because I dont have anything connected to the LFE output yet? I *do* have my DVD player connected using Digital coax cable.

EX/ES Dolby ES is what I'm using right now.

Thanks!

Dan Belina

Agent
NM, I'm an idiot...I guess this movie doesnt have DTS :/ I tried deleting the thread but I can't, guess everyone gets to see my mistake :)

John S

Senior HTF Member
That would make it difficult to get DTS for sure...

:)

For grins you can set your DVD player to output PCM (The way normally wrong setting) and then use DTS Neo:6 on it.

The correct setting for your DVD player is Bitstream and not PCM as I am sure you already have it set to.

I use that AVR a lot these day, I like it a lot. Give us some impressions of it please.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks