Do reality shows have contracts with Playboy?

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by MarkHastings, Jun 30, 2003.

1. MarkHastings

MarkHastings Executive Producer

Why is that it seems like women from these reality shows end up in Playboy? It started with Darva Conger, and now the new issue has 2 from Survivor, A few months back was the blond from Joe millionaire (the winner was in Maxim).

This seems like a new trend. Go on one of these reality shows and then sign a contract to pose nude. I'm not even sure why this bugs me (maybe it's my disgust for these reality shows)...Does this bother anyone else?

Am I the only one who wants to see actual models in Playboy and not these "Fifteen Minutes of Fame" women?

I realize I'm walking a fine line about morals when I speak of posing nude in Playboy, but I seem to have a lot more respect for someone like "Jodi Ann Paterson" who worked hard to get into Playboy rather than some woman who goes on a reality show, acts like a total bimbo and then gets $$ in her eyes when she realizes she can become even more popular by posing nude. There's just something more "fake" about these women to me.

2. Patrick_S

Patrick_S Producer
    Supporter

3. Max Leung

Max Leung Producer

Keep in mind that Reality shows generally don't hire unattractive women and men. Then they may suggest that the most attractive woman wear skimpy outfits, while the slightly less attractive ones wear the baggy sweats and jeans. Naturally, this leads to conflict on the show, as the audience and the participants instantly polarize ("I hate her...she always wears skimpy outfits and gets all the attention" or "Wow she's hot, but I bet she is a real bitch").

Notice how the reality tv shows purposely hire attractive people with certain personality types? They hire a physically attractive woman with an over-the-top personality (ex-stripper with bubbly aspirations), and "encourage" her to wear skimpy clothing. Combine that with the personality and poof: Everybody hates her.

Well, at least that's what I gathered from the CBC documentary on reality TV shows. It's probably biased anyways... [​IMG]

4. Joel Mack

Joel Mack Cinematographer

In general, nobody wants to watch a show where everybody gets along and loves each other (the exception being, perhaps, Big Brother 1, where America consistently voted out the most volatile houseguests in order to create the blandest show possible). Conflict is what drives interest, and therefore those shows are cast with that in mind.

As for Playboy, I'm still amazed anyone buys it for the pictures anymore. The articles/interviews are still pretty good, but there's so much better pr0n available free on the internet, if you know where to look. Or so I've heard. [​IMG]

5. Lee L

Lee L Supporting Actor

Playboy always goes after even moderately attractive women who for whatever reason have gained notoriety. It is all about attracting readers (viewers [​IMG] ). I remember they had Gennifer Flowers a few years ago when Clinton was first in office.

6. MarkHastings

7. Christ Reynolds

Christ Reynolds Producer

CJ
    i am most likely in the smallest minority, never having seen any reality based tv at all.

CJ

8. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

Shows are put on the air to attract advertisers. It's a vicious cycle. No one is going to tune in on a regular basis if the participants on the shows are ugly or untalented.

9. Eric_L

Eric_L Screenwriter

I don't watch reality shows and I don't read Playboy and it does not appear I'm missing anything.

10. Clinton McClure

Clinton McClure Casual Enthusiast
    Supporter

Clint

It depends. I find some of the 15 minutes of fame women to be attractive while most of today's models/supermodels/ubermodels look like your everyday crackhead. Of course, I also think the women who appeared in Playboy 20-30 years ago are more attractive than the ones who appear today.

11. Craig Robertson

Craig Robertson Supporting Actor

12. MarkHastings

13. Graeme Clark

Graeme Clark Cinematographer

14. MarkHastings

15. Holadem

Holadem Lead Actor

16. MarkHastings

17. Patrick_S

Patrick_S Producer
    Supporter

Mark if you think about it these women did work hard to make the cover because they had to go through an extensive audition process in order to get on the reality show.

18. Holadem

Holadem Lead Actor

Yep Patrick, I was gonna say the exact same thing.

Do you think you would have a decent chance at appearing on a reality show? Why (not) ? Don't get me wrong, I don't like those shows either.

You know, I think those people remind many among our somewhat geeky membership of the jocks they could never be part of and the popular girls they could never bed in high school [​IMG]. And I am only half joking.

--
    Holadem

19. MarkHastings

20. Tom-G

Tom-G Screenwriter

Playboy is doing the smart thing and capitalizing on the popularity of these TV shows. That's all. There is nothing wrong with that. They are in the business to sell magazines and what's going to generate more sales, naked women who are unknown or naked women who are well known?

Much of finding these women "hot" has to do with the fact that they are in the national spotlight. In the case of these reality TV girls, they are minor celebrities. It's the forbidden fruit theory--you want what you can't have.

Being from the Pittsburgh area, I've seen two of the reality TV girls (Amber Brkich and Jenna Morasca) up close. Jenna was a night club not too long ago. I found said women to be no more attractive than a lot of the other women in the club.