What's new

Do real Advent speakers exist anymore? (1 Viewer)

LanceJ

Senior HTF Member
And I don't mean plastic computer or wireless types either.

What happened to this company that used to make one of the most popular speakers ever, the "Large Advent"?

Here's a shot of the "New Advent", very similar to the Large.

Bad management, substandard product......any ideas?

LJ

Brett DiMichele

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brett
I'd say bad management most likely...

KLH, AR, Advent all glorious Kloss companies of yesteryear
and the only two left are AR and KLH, though KLH doesn't
offer much....

Edward J M

Senior HTF Member
I also own a pair of The New Advent Louspeaker, with the refoamed woofers.

They are STILL great speakers. They have that great tight acoustic suspension bass and effortlessly radiate energy on piano, brass, snare drum, etc. They have fabulous octave to octave balance.

The soundstage, imaging, and inner detail is sorely lacking compared to the best of today's speakers, but that is to be expected after 25 years of loudspeaker development.

The Advent was a landmark speaker - a real milestone in the audio industry. I will never sell mine - they are serving admirably in my 2 channel rig upstairs.

FWIW, these speakers are flat to 32 Hz, with an F3 of 30 Hz, and an F5 of 29 Hz - I ran a close miked sweep on them. Pretty impressive for a sealed design of reasonable size.

Regards,

Ed

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
One of the coolest setups you could ever come across in the mid-1970s was something cooked up by The Abso!ute Sound: double Larger Advents per channel.

I spent time with a friend who slung together the following: a Crown IC-150 preamp and Crown DC-300 power amp driving two Larger Advents per channel. The sound had an eerie transparency not completely unlike electrostatics, but with much better power-handling capacity. I was amazed at how open and extended the sound was.

And given the economical price of the Larger Advent, what a good deal!

(Suddenly, my Rectilinear IIIs, so touted in that era, sounded kind of muddy in the mid-bass, not to mention constricted.)

James Edward

Supporting Actor
Count me in on the Larger Advent lovefest. I can't remember what they replaced, but the difference was stunning. :emoji_thumbsup:

David_D

Stunt Coordinator
I also was an owner of the larger Advents. Fabulous value for the money. Unfortunately, I never heard of the stacking idea. Sounds tantalizing.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks