What's new

Do projectors take advantage of 16x9 enhanced dvds? (1 Viewer)

Deane Johnson

Supporting Actor
Absolutely. I never watch anything but anamorphic on my projection system if I can avoid it. While I have not made any comparisons, I would guess it's even more important for FPTV the RPTV due to the increased size of the image.
Deane

Allan Jayne

Senior HTF Member
Not all front projectors are designed to take advantage of 16:9 enhanced DVD's, some require the same complicated tweaks as direct view sets require to do "vertical squeeze".
With CRT projectors, the chances are greater of losing convergence when doing the squeeze.
You would want a projector that has individual settings (memory) for convergence and geometry for different aspect ratios, and quick selection via the remote.
More video hints: http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

Howard_A

Stunt Coordinator
You can always put a video scaler between your DVD player and the projector. Then it doesn't matter what kind of projector you get.

Ben Cannon

Grip
Scaler/doubler/quads that are "anamorphic aware" are great for this, the extra resolution as mentioned is really appricated at ~120"+ screen sizes.
The older projectors (like my ampro infact) though they have multiple memories, their accessing and switching is less than intuitive. a Scaler such as a DWIN Transcanner2 is great as it allows the projector to run at only one resolution, and scales input sources up to match.
Good Times!
Ben.

Allan Jayne

Senior HTF Member
If the projector is 4:3 you would want it with at least 640 scan lines or pixels in the vertical direction. OK, OK, with a good scaler you can get by with 600 vertically since 800 x 600 is one of the standards.
This is because you need 480 pixels or scan lines vertically within a 16:9 area to get the full benefits of anamorphic DVD.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
With my CRT front projector, I use a scaled HTPC resolution of 1280 x 960 for nonanamorphic, and 1280 x 720 for anamorphic. Works great. The anamorphic picture is brighter, because doing the squeeze squeezes the lines together.
------------------

Bill Lucas

Supporting Actor
At this point, only a very old analog projector would have to be reconverged every time it is used as a 16:9 display device. Allan's advice, while true, shouldn't be a concern unless you purchase a really old (pre 1991 or so) projector with analog convergence.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks