Do Projector Bulbs Contain Kryptonite ?

Discussion in 'Displays' started by PhilBoy, Dec 10, 2003.

1. PhilBoy

PhilBoy Second Unit

Why are they so expen$ive ?

I would think that at current prices replacement bulbs would cost more than the TI DLP device...[​IMG]

2. Gabriel_Lam

Gabriel_Lam Screenwriter

They contain unobtainium. [​IMG]

3. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    You know, this thread reminds me of an old thread one time. The poster was wondering if he could not just use a cheap $20 lamp bulb (the ones that get very hot - the name escapes me now) and he even wanted to modify an old used projector as an experiment and wondered what would be involved. I responded that I sure would like to see what the result would be but first that the bulb would probably not be bright enough to give good results. Then I told him he had better provide a protective transparent case around the bulb just incase it decides to explode inside his projector. The last thing you want to do is have fragments destroy your projector.

He decided not to carry on with the experiment [​IMG]

You know, if they really mass produced these bulbs, and if they did not operate like drug companies charging an arm and a leg for what they know we need, then they probably would be cheap ~$50.

4. PhilBoy

PhilBoy Second Unit

I could live with $100 per bulb.[​IMG]

5. Thomas Willard

Thomas Willard Stunt Coordinator

You have to keep in mind that you are paying for a bulb mounted in a housing. This is true of the Boxlight and Panasonic projectors I have at home and at work. If you take the bulb out of the projector you should see it comes out with a mount built around it. On some projectors it is easier than others to actually replace the bulb in the mounting. Problem then becomes finding the original bulb manufacturer. The country of origin on the bulb was Holland.

6. Thomas Willard

Thomas Willard Stunt Coordinator

I forgot to mention that projection bulbs for slide projectors and overhead projectors do cost less, but the number of rated hours is also a great deal less. Factoring that in, the cost of the bulb is about the same with front projectors as it is with older audio visual equipment.

7. Jeff_S

Jeff_S Agent

Yes, they do contain Kryptonite.

That is why Superman uses a crystal-based hologram display in the Fortress of Solitude.

8. PhilBoy

PhilBoy Second Unit

Holland? Bulbs?

That is too funny. I remember reading a book way back about personal finances, I think it was "The Wealthy Barber" that used an analogy of supply and demand based on the skyrocketing cost of tulip bulbs a long time ago in Holland due to the increasing demand for them.

Sorry, that just struck me as funny.[​IMG]