Do people trust your opinion on movies?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Patrick Sun, Jan 16, 2002.

1. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Studio Mogul

Do your friends trust your opinion on movies, or do they heavily discount it based on your taste in them?

2. Paul_D

Paul_D Cinematographer

All of my friends have very different taste in movies to me. i.e. they like crap. I don't. [​IMG]
    So no.

3. Bruce Hedtke

Bruce Hedtke Cinematographer

Yes. They know that if I really, really love a film, they don't need to watch it [​IMG]. And, if I really, really hate a film, they need to buy it [​IMG]
    Bruce

4. Sean Conklin

Sean Conklin Screenwriter

Now that I'm a complete DVD OAR snob, I think my friends and family think I'm nuts and don't trust my film judgement anymore. Most of my friends and family are J6P's when it comes to film. (Most of 'em still have VCR's only)

5. Jon_B

Jon_B Screenwriter

Sometimes. It all depends if they have seen the trailer and if someone else has gave them a different opinion.

6. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

They have no doubt that I truly believe my opinion. [​IMG]
    They actually do tend to trust my opinion, though not in a strict agree/disagree way. Since I'll generally tend to say what I liked or disliked about the movie, they'll generally take that into account when deciding whether or not to see a movie.
    That said, I couldn't convince any family members to see Happy Accidents when it finally reached Maine in December, and a friend tuned out my gushing about Brotherhood Of The Wolf once I reached the word "French". So maybe I should say my friends trust my opinions but aren't terribly influenced by them.

7. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Not only do they trust my take, they seek it out. But that doesn't stop them from arguing with me. It's sort of like when someone wants to argue the fine points of Star Trek with you. ([​IMG])

8. Rain

Rain Producer

I'm proud to say: I recommended Dumbo to a co-worker. She has a 3.5 year old son. She bought it and now tells me it's his favourite video. What a great kid. [​IMG]

9. Brian Kissinger

Brian Kissinger Screenwriter

Once. They trust it once, then quote the raven, "Nevermore."

10. Scott Weinberg

Scott Weinberg Lead Actor

I hope so! [​IMG]
    I also know my friends well enough to know what they'll like. I list Moulin Rouge! among the best films of last year, yet I wouldn't recommend it to most of my friends. They're all cold-hearted cynical bastards. [​IMG]

11. PatrickM

PatrickM Screenwriter

Not necessarily because I have different tastes in films. Most of my friends prefer modern Hollywood flicks but occasionally I'll push something and they'll say, "Wow, that was great. I would have never gone to see that on my own."

But, most of the time they go what's that movie?

Patrick

12. Tom Rhea

Tom Rhea Second Unit

Not really. Most of the people I work with know that I'm a Hitchcock fanatic and they consider his movies to be too "intellectual" (lord only knows what they'd think if they acted on my recommendation of Godard's Alphaville). Pretty ironic considering he used to be dismissed by US critics as too commercial.

13. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

David Fischer
    Pretty much (and vice-versa). Most of my friends and family have similar tastes in movies. And I also know, generally, what sort of movies I like that they won't (and vice versa).

So I feel pretty confident recommending movies to my friends/family, as well as watching movies they suggest.

Not perfect, of course, but good enough to watch movies we suggest to each other.

14. Nick Sievers

Nick Sievers Producer

Yes they do, because most of the movies they see are because of my recommendations, I also help them avoid some of the real clunkers as well.

15. Ricky Hustle

Ricky Hustle Supporting Actor

16. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

I have friends who call me up just to ask what movies they should see. Those are the people for whom I'm most cautious about making a recommendation, because it's a big responsibility, especially for friends who don't go to the movies that often. That's probably why I prefer giving descriptions of films to assigning grades, stars or other ratings, none of which is very informative. I don't want people to see a film because I gave it an "A"; I want them to see it if I've made it sound interesting.

M.

17. Mark Dubbelboer

Mark Dubbelboer Screenwriter

people realize that i'm rather biased.

for example if deniro is in it, it's gold and i'll love it. my friends like any movie, so it doesn't really matter what i recommend

18. Brian Lawrence

Brian Lawrence Producer

Brian
    I gave up recommending movies a while ago. I tend to find that I could point someone towards 20 different movies and if they loved 18 of them and hated 2, the next time I suggest something they will make a comment about how the movies I pick always stink.
    I don't think I will ever be forgiven for telling a few people that Blair Witch Project and Virgin Suicides where good movies (which they are by the way).

19. Sean Conklin

Sean Conklin Screenwriter

20. Patrick Wilmes

Patrick Wilmes Stunt Coordinator

Close friends and family do but they don't always agree.But that's cool because you may be gettng them to watch a movie they wouldn't normally watch and at least they can say they saw it if the conversation ever comes up.