1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Do people still read books?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Scott Hayes, Jan 17, 2002.

1. Scott Hayes

Scott Hayes Second Unit

My family didnt get a tv until I was 14 (I'm 32 now). The only tv I watched was when I went to the neighbors house or when we went to visit my grandparents during the summer. My parents always bought me books though. (still do) By the time we got our first tv I had easily over a thousand books. I read eveything from the Hardy Boys to The Hobbit. They would buy me books about history , science, sports, etc...
    Now that I'm older and have much less free time I dont read as much as I used to; but there are still nights were I dont power up the HT and instead read all night.
    During the Christmas holidays I was shopping in Waldenbooks. The mall was packed due to the holidy. As I was standing in line I realized there was hardly any people in the store. The majority of people who were there either had a calender or a Harry Potter book.
    Today I went to trade in some paperbacks at the local paperback book exchange and the old man who owns the store told me he is closing his doors due to lack of business.
    Even the librarian at our library says she has days were only one or two people come in, and we live in a good size town.
    This disturbs me. For one thing there is no better theater than the mind. I have never seen a movie that was better than the book it was adapted from. Second of all I hope to be a published writer one day and I hope that there are people out there who will want to read my stories. ( I wrote that last part partially in jest[​IMG] )
    Please people, go out and read a book. Pick a book that apeals to you, it doesnt have to be a literary giant, hell, I still enjoy reading the old Conan pulp fiction stories. I can guarantee you will find it rewarding.

2. Clinton McClure

Clinton McClure Casual Enthusiast
    Supporter

Clint
    I still love to read and I see by your sig. that you have an appreciation for Douglas Adams. [​IMG]

3. Sean Conklin

Sean Conklin Screenwriter

I love to read also. But lately it's been limited to reading the backs of my DVD cases. [​IMG]
    Really though I used to read a LOT of books. But I have to admit it's been a while since I've enjoyed a good book.
    I just got a couple new Dean Koontz books that I plan on reading very soon.

4. Scott Hayes

Scott Hayes Second Unit

Douglas Adams was the funniest author I have ever read. Whenever I feel down I'll read any of the "Hitchhicker" books and instantly feel better. Laughter is truly the best medicine.[​IMG]

5. SteveGon

SteveGon Executive Producer

I still read. [​IMG] Mostly non-fiction - currently I'm reading Simon Winchester's The Map That Changed the World. I tried reading the King/Straub offering The Black House, but could only make it through the first three or so chapters. Talk about bloated prose...

6. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    I still read (and love Douglas Adams also) although I'm a really slow reader. Sometimes I just like to take a book and go for a hike in the woods and just sit down and read a bit, nothing but me, the birds, and nature...

My sister who manages a Barnes and Nobles will tell you that people still buy lots of books, but it's probably just not as prevalent as say TV/computers.

Jay

7. TheoGB

TheoGB Screenwriter

You've gotta consider how much there is on the internet for people to read. I think they do a lot.

It's also proven that films of books make people read them. If that author's done other books people will also go for them, I'd imagine.

One problem at the moment is how throwaway many popular books are - just kind of of their time with little to recommend anyone buy them in even a couple of years.

I do try to read but I can find books frustrating because I like my plots and my 'endings'. Many times I'll read a book and find that in the closing pages the author has no idea how to make a great ending and that's a shame.

The most recent surprise enjoyment I found was Margaret Atwood's 'The Blind Assassin'. Fast paced and interesting the ending didn't even let me down and I fully expected it too given the sort of story it was!

8. Darren H

Darren H Second Unit

I've read six books -- three novels and three historical/critical studies -- this week, but doctoral comprehensive exams in American lit will do that to a guy. [​IMG]

9. Bjorn Olav Nyberg

Bjorn Olav Nyberg Supporting Actor

I tend to read in waves, and I'm a reasonably fast reader so I will usually finish a book in one or two nights depending on the length and partially my mood I guess.
    When the wave is over it can stop pretty abruptly though. Before Christmas I was on a fantasy high as I got Robert Jordan's latest book. Then I read one Terry Pratchett book and started the second but stopped in the middle. Mort & Soul music in case you're wondering. Nort was so incredibly excellent that I felt sorry when it ended, therefore picked the longest Pratchett book I could find next, but soul music kinda dragged compared to Mort, so I lost interest.
    I did get two Erlend Loe books for Christmas as well, which I simply ate up. Look for this name if, or rather when, he starts getting exported.
    Just gotta build up the willpower to finish Soul music one of these days.
    We're on a mission from Glod [​IMG]

10. Julie K

Julie K Screenwriter

I read a lot (in fact, I've been plugging a favorite author over in another thread [​IMG] ). I'm a fast reader and book length is no issue for me. I always read a couple of hours each evening and sometimes all day on the weekend. Of course, I also have weekends that I spend all day watching DVDs :p)

11. Kurt B

Kurt B Stunt Coordinator

I read books daily, be it for work or for pleasure. I usually have two books going at the same time, usually placed in strategic locations in the house. When I fly, I can usually finish a complete book during the flight out and back.

~Kurt

12. Duane_T

Duane_T Stunt Coordinator

I read a lot, in waves, mostly in fall and winter. When spring and summer hit, I usually lose the urge unless I've found something that really interests me.

With the internet, video games and a lot of TV stations do many kids read anymore? My parents never bought me a console and I had two channels on TV, both bad - although I think I would have read as a kid anyway if I had all that stuff.

13. David Susilo

David Susilo Screenwriter

I read a lot, I just wish books are not THAT expensive.

My interest are, but not limited to, Cryptozoology, Murder Mysteries, Unsolved Mysteries, Witchcraft, Abnormal Psychology, Pop History. No fiction though. Can't stand them.

14. Clinton McClure

Clinton McClure Casual Enthusiast
    Supporter

Clint
    Scott - I didn't mention it in my last post, but I'm almost finished reading The Long Dark Teatime Of The Soul for something like the 10th or 11th time. Along with the rest of Adams' books, it gets funnier each time I read it.

15. Scott Hayes

Scott Hayes Second Unit

Those of you who have kids, do they read? Although Harry Potter isnt exactly Shaekspear, its good to see a book grab childrens imagination the way HP has. I have often thought that when I have children I am going to severly limit there tv time if not do away with it. Well maybe not, I cant give up the home theater. Maybe we will have the Saturday family movie night. No tv the rest of the week[​IMG]

16. Anthony_J

Anthony_J Stunt Coordinator

For those of you looking for good reading, check out anything by Nick Hornby. He's the author of "High Fidelity" (on which the John Cusack movie was based), along with "About a Boy", "How to be Good" and a couple of others.

Outstanding author, you can't go wrong reading anything he's written.

Irvine Welsh is very good, too. "Trainspotting" has long been one of my favorites, but "Glue" and "The Acid House" are worth a look, too.

17. Kurt B

Kurt B Stunt Coordinator

18. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    I like to read a good book more than watching the dumb TV. There were a lot of books I read that I could not put down including...

- The Relic

- The Reliquary

- Jurassic Park

- The Lost World

- The Ugly Little Boy (Asimov)

- Nightfall

19. Julie K

Julie K Screenwriter

20. Kurt B

Kurt B Stunt Coordinator

Found the thread, found the references. I'll have to pick up one to read. I enjoy reading that genre of book. Thank you.

~Kurt