What's new

Do people change? (1 Viewer)

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
I have to tell you that I think this is the most touching, poignant thread going right now at HTF. Thank you, Patman! Really, it makes me feel good to read these posts. So, thanks to all of you.

Cam S

Screenwriter
I hope I can always stay the same was as I am now. I look at parents who are really outgoing, and have a really good sense of humour with their kids, and thier kid's friends. I'm 21 now, and hope to be as silly and outgoing as I am now when I am 50 and my kids (if I have any) are in college.

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
The main difference between me at 20 and me at 52 is that I just don't have time to sweat the small stuff anymore.

Once one's on the downhill side of life, fewer things are important enough to stress out over. Bad drivers, Little old ladies with reams of coupons in the express checkout at the supermarket, annoying or marginally competent co-workers, just aren't worth getting all worked up about. Tolerance of other's failings gets a lot easier. I'm able to be good friends with people who's politics or religious proclivities are anathema to me.

Another huge difference is a recognition that I don't have to be right about everything, and that it's not as important to know everything as it is to know how to find out everything.

Bill Cowmeadow

Second Unit
I truly believe that people do not change with time, but sometimes things that we struggle with or don't give a second thought too, are illuminated and brought into focus like an arrow striking a target. An example:

I was on a jury several years ago, the case is not important, but a few of the words the judge imparted to us on the jury certianly were. One of the prospective jurors was familiar with the defendant, the prosecuting attorney asked to sumarily dismiss the juror, but the judge said no. His next words struck me like a lightning bolt. "Just because you know or know of someone, doesn't mean you can't sit in judgement of them. I would have no problem passing judgement on my son or daughter if they had committed a terrible crime like rape or murder".

It didn't change my point of view, but it did bring it into focus.

I guess that's why they are judges.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks