1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Do Pan&Scan DVD's have to have the "This film has been modified from its..." card?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Marty Christion, Apr 19, 2002.

1. Marty Christion

Marty Christion Stunt Coordinator

It seems most pan&scan videos carry this card. Is it also found on pan&scan DVD's?

I thought I had heard about this card being a requirement as part of an agreement with directors or cinematographers or something.

Does anyone have any history on this?

2. SteveK

SteveK Supporting Actor

Marty- I don't know whether it's required or not, but it should be. Actually, they need to change the message to convey EXACTLY what is happening. Something like "This film has been modified from its original. Approximately 35% of the image has been removed and the rest has been magnified to fit your screen. Any resemblance to the original film is purely coincidental. But at least your screen is filled, which seems to be all you care about anyway."
    Please forgive the sarcasm, but with studios releasing an ever increasing amount of P&S only titles, I'm starting to get very concerned about the future of this once glorious format. [​IMG]
    Steve K.

3. JasonKrol

JasonKrol Supporting Actor

and it should also be stated:

"This movie has been modified from its original version to fit your screen (if you are viewing with a 4x3 screen, if not, then your SOL)."

= )

4. Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino Lead Actor

Joseph DeMartino
    I believe the disclaimer is there thanks to a clause that the Directors Guild of America insisted on in contract negotiations a few years ago. The actual wording is a compromise formula worked out with the studios. The directors wanted something closer in spirit to the suggestions above. The studios didn't want to imply that they were giving people an inferior product - even though that's exactly what they're doing. I'll bet a lot of the "I hate black bars" crowd would be singing a different tune if they had been told that they were missing significant amounts of the picture (and sometimes of the plot) in butchered versions. I loved the widescreen explanation on Die Hard (as well as the one on Star Trek IV) and wish the next DGA contract would force the studios to actually show the butchery and artistic ham-fistedness of P&S.

BTW, the same disclaimer runs when widescreen films are broadcast on television, including the premium cable services and pay per view. It is required any time a modified version is shown. (More recent DGA contracts have added information about editing for time and content on commercial TV.)

Regards,

Joe

5. StephenA

StephenA Screenwriter

I have seen it on a few pan and scan DVDs. I'm pretty sure it says it on my Willy Wonka DVD, but I haven't watched the disc in a while. I can't remember what other DVDs I saw it on, but know I have.

I know I should have the widescreen Willy Wonka DVD, but my mom got it for me for Christmas, but I didn't look to see if it was widescreen before I opened it and she lost the sales slip too. Also I never bothered to get rid of it and buy a new version. I'll just add it to the list of DVDs that I'm gonna update.

6. Joel C

Joel C Screenwriter

It says it before The Shadow, which is the only P&S only DVD I have.