What's new

Do Our Requests Still Matter? (1 Viewer)

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Kino, Warner Bros., and Criterion seem to be reading our threads. Paramount, Disney, Sony...I think not. I've no idea whether SHOUT! (and by default SCREAM FACTORY), Olive, and others...not so sure anyone cares about our requests. As for the rest, do they pay attention to what we suggest for Blu-ray releases, or do they ignore us and forge ahead? Do our wish lists fall on deaf ears?

J. Casey

Second Unit
Real Name
Jason
Back when you COULD actually correspond with folks at the studios, I would say "sometimes." Due to a combination of factors in modern times (decrease in physical media, folks running things who don't care or have a clue, etc.), I don't think we are listened to. Just my opinion. And they probably SHOULDN'T listen to me, because the things I want aren't going to sell many copies!

Example: I'd love to see Kino release a Fox Lon Chaney double feature: ALLIGATOR PEOPLE/WITCHCRAFT. Might sell 5 copies.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
I feel like they do listen because I have seen so many films I hoped to get on blu-ray appear so I think there is an effort going on here. I think things tend not to happen as fast as we would like and I think when studios are silent that makes us think that there is nothing happening.

But people like Kino have been on a tear releasing all kinds of titles and the other boutique labels all seem to be working on all kinds of stuff.

Now if you are talking about somebody like Paramount...well...I admit there seems to be almost nothing happening there. Would be great to see Kino allowed into that library.

trajan007

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Larry C Bender
Warner Archives has released a number of films that I asked for, so I don't think it hurts to keep asking.

Last edited:

Jeff Cooper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Cooper
Back in the early days of DVD, they absolutely did, and we had studio insiders in the forum.

So the precedent to continue on with them is still there... However probably not as much anymore with the decline of physical media.

BRAD1963

Supporting Actor
Real Name
BRAD
I think the days of the major studios are gone. But I do believe that the indie labels like Twilight Time and KIno take much of what is said into consideration, or at least will try to provide feedback.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
Of course not! Anyone who thinks because they fantasized about a title out loud and voila ..... it suddenly appeared is delusional. The studios and labels (both major and boutique) aren't fairy godmothers here to grant us our wishes. They're a business and if they release something it's because they think there's a very good chance they can actually make a profit (or break even at the very least). Does anyone really think Shout Factory is releasing a Pink Panther box set because we asked for it? They know it's a popular film series and there's a market for it.

That being said, I do believe that once a label has announced a title, they are susceptible to listening to us regarding things like original aspect ratio, alternate versions, sound mixes etc. I said listen, not do our bidding. Kino Lorber's attention to the "stretch" issue on their upcoming release of The Big Country is a good example.

John Hermes

Screenwriter
Real Name
John Hermes
Back when you COULD actually correspond with folks at the studios, I would say "sometimes." Due to a combination of factors in modern times (decrease in physical media, folks running things who don't care or have a clue, etc.), I don't think we are listened to. Just my opinion. And they probably SHOULDN'T listen to me, because the things I want aren't going to sell many copies!

Example: I'd love to see Kino release a Fox Lon Chaney double feature: ALLIGATOR PEOPLE/WITCHCRAFT. Might sell 5 copies.
I have the British Blu-ray of The Alligator People and it is quite nice.

Camps

Screenwriter
Real Name
Tom
Twilight Time certainly listened to customers when it responded with their excellent 3D blu ray (including 3 Stooges shorts) of Mad Magician. That said, they "may" have access to 3D elements on Gorilla at Large and I think the folks who bought Magician are eager for any word on that.

Olive seemed to be a godsend, offering us great obscurities.... but they seemed to fail to heed fans' entreaties for a 3D (rather than 2D) release of Money from Home.

Kino certainly seems responsive.

Generally, from what I've seen, indie distributors are more likely to listen to customers than large studios -- which comes as little surprise -- with the major exception of Warners. I don't think Universal listens much, though folks are optimistic for a 3D blu ray of Revenge of the Creature based on their certain success with It Came from Outer Space....

skylark68

Screenwriter
Real Name
Timothy
I was pretty impressed when Olive released Strategic Air Command. I never thought that one would see the light of day. There were a few others asking for that title as well. I think they responded!

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Once in awhile we caught their ear and made them listen. But those times were few and far between. Maybe B-list studio product is better off with independent labels otherwise they might not get disc releases.

It'll sell none if it doesn't get released and it won't get released unless someone asks for it.

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Kino, Warner Bros., and Criterion seem to be reading our threads. Paramount, Disney, Sony...I think not. I've no idea whether SHOUT! (and by default SCREAM FACTORY), Olive, and others...not so sure anyone cares about our requests. As for the rest, do they pay attention to what we suggest for Blu-ray releases, or do they ignore us and forge ahead? Do our wish lists fall on deaf ears?

Does it matter to them -- maybe not, but it's not going to hurt.

but sometimes the answer is still going to be 'No'

BRAD1963

Supporting Actor
Real Name
BRAD
Unless a title is a big seller or A list film the studios are not releasing catalog titles any longer. I would say also not to hold your breath to have the large variety of films we had on previous formats on UHD. But like i said, requesting titles from the indies who have deals with certain studios does not probably hurt.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I think the studios still mine these forums for feedback. I mean, why wouldn't they?

Do they listen? I think so, but realize, the market has changed and the studios are releasing less catalog titles themselves and instead unloading them on the boutique labels.

So, I think saying "it couldn't hurt" is the best thing that could be said. And as Norman put it so well, "....sometimes the answer is still going to be 'no'."

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
For tv shows, most likely a definitive NO.

For movies, most likely a definitive NO from the large movie companies. For smaller boutique movie companies, maybe they might listen at a superficial level.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChewyWaffles
Recent bookmarks