Do notebooks have maximum HD size limitations?

Discussion in 'Computers' started by NickSo, Aug 23, 2003.

1. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    My dad has a Toshiba Satellite Notebook (433MHz Celeron, 192MB Ram, 6gig HD) and he wants to upgrade the hard drive... I know my way around computers, and i've opened up the notebook before (ram upgrade), and can probably install the hard drive (the size seems to be right, 2.5"/9.5mm)...

The question is, do you guys think theres any set limits in the bios/software that allow a set maximum size for hard drives?

Has anybody upgraded their HD in their toshiba notebook, or ANY recent notebook in general?

ALso, another omputer question, but offtopic... Does anybody know how to make it so the lables (text under icons, ie: My Computer, Recycling Bin) on the desktop icons are transparent and not the color of the desktop but rather transparent so it shows the desktop wallpaper?

Thanks

2. Steve_Ch

Steve_Ch Supporting Actor

You should either go to Toshiba tech support, or Compuserve's Toshiba forum and check the specific model, as there can be all kinds of quirks regarding hard drive limitations, and that's not just laptop or Toshiba.

3. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    Yeah i've tried toshiba's tech support awhile back.. twice.. one guy said there was no limitations, another said that thers a 10gig limitations... ill heck out the compuserve forums!

4. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

hmm, limitations usually come in multiples of 8, so 10GB doesn't quite jive

5. Thomas Newton

Thomas Newton Screenwriter

The largest drive I've seen in a notebook form factor is 60 GB.

There's a limitation with many desktop ATA controllers that keeps them from using more than the first 120 to 130 GB of a drive (no matter how you partition it). I believe this is due to a combination of 28-bit block addressing and 512-byte blocks. Large desktop drives sometimes ship with new controller cards (that use more address bits) to fix this.

Notebook controllers are essentially impossible to replace, so when notebook drives get larger than 120 GB, you will want to take your controller's abilities into account when buying one.

6. Thomas Newton

Thomas Newton Screenwriter

If a controller had 24-bit block addressing, and a block size of 512 bytes, that would work out to a ceiling of 8 GB. Maybe the guy who said "10 GB" rounded up? Just a thought ...

7. Steve_Ch

>>There's a limitation with many desktop ATA controllers that keeps them from using more than the first 120 to 130 GB of a drive (no matter how you partition it). I believe this is due to a combination of 28-bit block addressing and 512-byte blocks.

8. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    Yeah im not expecting to exceed 20gigs in my HD upgrade, so I wont have to worry about limitations in 120gig HDs :p)

9. Steve_Ch

I honestly do not know of any laptop made in the last 2 years(could well be longer) that have a 20G limitation. Nothing is ever 100%, but if you are a gambling person, I think throwing a 20G in (again, assuming the laptop is no more than 2 years old) should be quite safe (that it will work and fully recognized).