What's new

Do NOT watch the MIB2 trailer on the Ali DVD! (1 Viewer)

Mark Schmitt

Stunt Coordinator
I hadn't seen the trailer in theaters so I made the mistake of watching the trailer on the Ali DVD. It has what I think is a MAJOR spoiler!
Don't worry, I won't reveal it here.
I didn't know how they were getting Tommy Lee Jones back after he had his memory erased in the first MIB, until I watched this trailer. It's no secret they are, but I purposely avoided finding out the method and how it plays. This stupid trailer reveals everything about it, and gives away some great jokes too. It explains way too much! Now I know how they get K back and why! ARRGHH!!!
Why do the studios do things like this?!
:angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:
It just ruined a major plot point in a movie I was looking forward to seeing. Now I don't know if I'll go, out of sheer principle!
You suck, Columbia/Tristar!!!
Blunt, yes, but I mean it!

LukeB

Senior HTF Member
Thanks a lot! Now, I know Tommy Lee Jones is in the sequel! Use the spoiler tag! :rolleyes
;)

Bruce Hedtke

Senior HTF Member
It just ruined a major plot point in a movie I was looking forward to seeing
Well, having not seen the film, it's difficult to judge just how "major" this plot point is going to be. I don't think MIB was subversive-it didn't hide key elements and spring them on you later. I doubt if MIB2 is going to be much different. Either way, I agree that they shouldn't put alot into the trailer, unless what's in the trailer is the depth of the movie. If that's the case, use all the ammo in the trailer to get butts in seats because word of mouth is going to take away money. Is MIB2 the kind of movie that has little beyond what's in the trailer? I doubt it but it wouldn't suprise me. Therefore, it is hard to say just how big of a spoiler this might turn out to be.
Bruce

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Well, if they hadn't explained it, then people would have been like "what a cop out! Don't those suits in Hollywood know that Tommy Lee Jones' character was mindwiped from the picture in the first one?"
Basically, it set up that he was coming back. It didn't really explain if or how he got his memory back. The only thing close would be the denueralizor, but I'd assumed that was just a device that would remove some key plot point zapped into his brain by aliens:)

rutger_s

Supporting Actor
Actually, the trailer just shows that...

Kevin is working at the post office. J runs in and screams that K has to come back.

The trailer doesn't show...

How Kevin becomes K again or how J convinces Kevin to come back to work for the MIB.

For all we know the actual film may be different.

Dwayne

Supporting Actor
I'm not surprised that they did this.

When it came time to do the Close Encounters DVD, their home video division decided to put the film's climax on the main menu screen.

Mark Schmitt

Stunt Coordinator
What gets me about this trailer is not that K comes back (that's obvious), but how it was presented. It just gives too much away.
Now I know:
K is working in the post office where J finds him. He somehow convinces K to come with him to MIB headquarters. He has to get K back because K has something in his memory that will aid the MIB (quite possibly for the major conflict of the film). We see that K is now a fish out of water, arriving at this strange place (like J in the first MIB) and not truly believing any of it. He takes K to the deneuralizer where it can be assumed that K gets his memory back. I think it's hilarious that K is working in the post office, knowing the powerful position K was in before. The scenario of K not knowing what the heck's going on (while once being a big part of the MIB) already presents some good comedic situations in my mind.
My point is, did we really need to see all of this? I know K's coming back. Did I really need to see all of those details? Aren't the best trailers those that give you a taste of the film without giving too much detail away? This trailer presented in sequence the steps taken to get K back.
I wish it had been saved for the film itself, not the trailer. It was just too much. I know it will probably end up being a minor part of the film, but it still annoys me.
I wrote my first post immediately after seeing the trailer so I was fired up a little more, but I still feel the same way. I like to go into a movie knowing as little as possible and now I feel I know too much.

rutger_s

Supporting Actor
Just so you guys know,

This trailer did play in theaters and was broadcasted during the news on some networks. It even showed up in Entertainment Tonight, Access Hollywood, and Extra before ending up on the Ali DVD.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks