Do NOT Trust Sony Website

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by scot_salmon, Jun 22, 2002.

1. scot_salmon

scot_salmon Agent

I don't know how many other inacuracies lie in the depths of the Sony website, but I know about at least one.

I have been researching 36" tube 4:3 TV's and was looking at the Sony Wega line. I had almost decided on the KV-36XBR800 (although it was more money than I wanted to spend). When looking at the Sony site and doing a "Compare Models", the specs show that the Sony KV-36FV300 displays 1080i, 480p and 960i and has 2 HD-capable Component inputs.

I got jazzed because the retail price is $1499 and I got both Home Theater Store and Tweeter to agree to $1325 street. Well, after going to Tweeter and seeing the set, the website is dead wrong. This set is an analog set, does not display HD and only has one (non-HD-capable) component input. I should have probably known that it was too good to be true, but I guess the excitement overtook me.

Needless to say, I was very very disappointed and am now back to the research.

Just thought everyone should know to take all specs on the Sony site w/ a grain of salt.

Good luck and if anyone has any suggestions let me know. BTW, I watch mostly (~90%)satellite (non-HD) now with DVD movies at about 10% of my viewing. This is why I'm sold, for now, on 4:3.

Thanks.

2. Mark Fitzsimmons

Mark Fitzsimmons Supporting Actor

Sony has I think 5 sets in the Wega line that are 36" and 4:3. The bottom three do not do HD, but the XBR does do the stuff mentioned but usually runs around $2300

3. Thomas_P

Thomas_P Agent

Yes, SonyStyle is not very well maintained, definitely wrong about those specs. However i would definitley look at the new 36HS500, coming out it August. It is HD, 2 component, DVI/HDCP, and will start about 2000. Good luck

4. scot_salmon

scot_salmon Agent

Thanks for the head-up on that model, but do you know what it will "street" at? I already have two stores committed to sell me a 36XBR800 at $1988 when they come in. Unless the street price on that model is at least a couple hundred less, I can't see why one would buy that over the XBR.

Thanks.

5. Thomas_P

Thomas_P Agent

If you can get them to sell you the xbr800 for 1988, I wouldn't pass that up. The list on the HS500 is 200 less than the xbr, so i bet you could get your store down pretty far on it. Did they say when they are getting the xbr800 in?

6. scot_salmon

scot_salmon Agent

I have estimates ranging from Mid-July to sometime in August. It seems all retailers are at Sony's mercy and really don't know much about the delivery times.

One other detail I forgot in my original post. I asked for some product literature and the salesman said that Sony doesn't send any out any more because all the info. can be found on the website! Of course, if it's wrong.....

Later.