What's new

DO NOT buy Spider-Man 2 for the PC... (1 Viewer)

Vader

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Derek
... Unless you want a stripped down version of the full game intended for 6-12 year olds. The below quote is taken directly from Activision's web site:

"The PC version of Spider-Man 2 is not identical to the console versions, though both games share plot and character elements. Spider-Man 2 PC is aimed at kids age 6-12, and has an easy-to-learn control scheme."

There is nothing on the box about this, and I did not find out until after I installed it, and then confirmed it on their site ...and then I only found this information by digging through their FAQ. On the "Spider-Man 2 Game" main page, the PC version is represented as entirely equivilent to the console versions (false advertising?). I promptly returned it to Walmart and exchanged it for another game. Since it was open, their policy does not allow for refunds (piracy fears, understandable), but when I told them that the actual game in the box was mis-advertised, they gave me a store credit. Just a heads up...

P.S. To those who have the console version (XBox, PS2, etc), I have heard it is awsome!

Doug Schiller

Supporting Actor
I'm with you but what on the PC Game box was falsely advertised?
Unless it says 100% like the console version, I don't see how you have a leg to stand on.
I'm glad you got your money back on a crippled game but I don't blame Activision one bit.

Chris Farmer

Screenwriter
Nah, not really true Doug. When you have the exact same cover-art for a game across platforms, especially when several platforms already have identical versions, there's a reasonable expectation that they're all the same. There are obvious limits, the GBA version won't be the same as the big boys, but most of the time, the PC version will be very similar or identical. See Splinter Cell, Knights of the Old Republic, etc. this goes double given that Spider-man: The Movie 1 was identical on the PC to the three main console versions.

Richard Kim

Senior HTF Member
Well I did notice that the PC version of Spidey 2 was siginificantly cheaper than the console versions. Now we know why...

Jay Mitchosky

Senior HTF Member
Agreed. Can anyone think of other examples where the core game has been "watered down" across platforms?

David Galindo

Screenwriter
Shrek 2 and the Spongebob Squarepants: Battle for Bikini Bottom series were both watered down for PC. What a shame.

Vader

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Derek
What is the logic behind such a move (other than losing sales to people who do not have console systems)?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks