Do Nady pro sound amps have loud fans?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Aaron Howell, Feb 4, 2005.

1. Aaron Howell

Aaron Howell Stunt Coordinator

I've been looking into the Nady Pro sound amps to power my IB sub. My biggest concern is fan noise. Can you usually hear them while talking to others in the same room? Please include what model you have heard and an approx distance to your listening position.

Thanks,
    Aaron

Edit:
    I've notived they have 2 speed fans. Have you guys heard the fans at the higher rpm? Thanks.

2. Wayne Ernst

Wayne Ernst Cinematographer

I have the Nady XA-1100 amp. The stock fans are about as noisy as any other fan in a pro audio amp. Granted, I shouldn't sound so generalized, but that's my take on it. When I ran mine with the stock fans in it, I couldn't tell if the RPM speed changed at all by the level of noise. Even when I pushed the amp hard for a bit, the fan levels didn't change much.

However, I am sensitive to noise - unless it's coming from my speakers. [​IMG]

I modified my Nady with two fans of low dB levels from my local Micro Center store. As I recall, they were about $6 or $7.00 each. I had to cut the pos/neg wires and solder the new fan connections to them.

Overall, I think this was probably my most effective mod of my HT system. The noise is barely audible - unless you are within 2 feet of the amp. Plus, the fans do a great job of pushing the heat off of the heatsinks as I can barely feel any warmth at all when touching the case.

3. Brent_S

Brent_S Second Unit

Another possibility with no fans to worry about would be the Buttkicker amp for $360 here... http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/...base_id/103694

specs say 1100 into 4 / 2200 into 2, plus other assorted features beneficial for a sub amp. Someone in the DIY forum was threatening to try one of these a while back, but I never saw a review. Might try searching.

Brent

4. Aaron Howell

Aaron Howell Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for the buttkicker recommendation, but I think I'm down to the nady xa-1600 and xa-1100. The 1600 is $.05 less expensive than the 1100, but I don't know if I need all that extra power. I'll only need about 200x2 @ 4ohm, and realistically I'll probably be using like 10x2 most of the time.

Guess I just have to plan for the fan mods, oh well. And just so you know, newegg.com is great for computer parts. It is a very highly rated site.