Do multivitamins really work/get absorbed?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by jeff lam, Aug 1, 2002.

1. jeff lam

jeff lam Screenwriter

Jeff Lam
    Do multivitamins do any good or do they just pass through? I think I need to start taking more vitamins. I'm always tired and don't have the energy I used to.

I eat very good. Lots of water, vegetables, meats, fats, and carbs. It seems like I have a well balanced diet. I get lot's of sleep. I don't have time to excersize much anymore though since I have a full time job sitting at a desk.

What can I do to boost my energy levels. I'm only 22 but feel like I'm 40 sometimes.

What kind of vitamins would be best?

2. Max Leung

Max Leung Producer

Hmmm, if you eat a balanced diet, I seriously doubt vitamins would do anything for you , as your body should be getting more than it needs already.

I'd bet regular exercise would do wonders in your situation. Maybe spend 15 minutes a day walking outdoors, in the sun?

3. jeff lam

jeff lam Screenwriter

Jeff Lam
    I walk about 20 min at lunch almost every day around the block where I work. seems really strange that I'm having energy problems. I'm not overweight at all. I've always been real thin and couldn't gain weight (I've been trying for years). I'm 5'10" 150lbs, I was very athletic in HS and in my childhood years and always had a physically demanding Job in college. But now that I have a desk job and don't have enough time to exercise, I feel like an old timer.

4. Mark Schermerhorn

Mark Schermerhorn Second Unit

Lack of exercise certainly kills my energy levels. If I got for more than a few weeks without exercise I get very, very lethargic.

You do have time to exercise somewhere, you don't need all that many minutes a day for exercising.

5. Jefferson

Jefferson Supporting Actor

My friend is a microbiologist,
    and he has told me for years....since they pay him big bucks to look at people's...er....crap...."Everybody who takes a Centrum (or whatever multivitamin) is wasting their money".
    he insists that they go 'straight through".

6. Max Leung

Max Leung Producer

Hmm, maybe you have to up the ante with exercise (assuming nothing else has changed, and you're not suffering from an undiagnosed ailment). Any chance you can approach the levels of exercise you had before your new job?

7. Todd Hochard

Todd Hochard Cinematographer

Multi-vitamins aren't 100% absorbed, but they do work.
    I can tell you, that the ONLY time I've ever been sick in the last eight years, is when I forget my vitamins for a few days.
    B-complex vitamins can be "uppers". C seems to help me ward off the sniffles, plus it makes your pee bright yellow.[​IMG]
    Be mindful of the type you take, if you decide to. I'd stay away from the mega-doses, and pay attention to your stomach after taking them. A few types kill my stomach. Also, watch out for those laced with things like Ginseng and Gingko. I would actually feel flush (light-headed/rapid blood pressure changes) in the morning when I took some with Gingko in them.
    I take the Centrum orange-flavored chewables. Tasty like Flintstones, but for grown-ups.[​IMG]
    Oh yeah- my eating habits are crap, which is why I take them.:b
    Do you eat a good breakfast? That goes a long way.
    Todd

8. Max Leung

Max Leung Producer

Hehe I forgot about the pee color change part. Fun! [​IMG]
    Hey don't the vitamin B50 supplemants make your pee glow neon yellow/orange? Hmm, I'll have to experiment with that...take a vitamin C pill, check color of pee. 24 hours later, take a vitamin B pill, and check the color of my pee again.
    Ginseng is bad for you...high-blood pressure is really an annoying thing to experience. Sorta feels like a caffeine overdose but with less nausea! Of course, it may be the "extra" ingredients some of the "herbal" medicine manufacturers use to spike their products.

9. Masood Ali

Masood Ali Supporting Actor

Yeah take a B-vitamin multi; it usually kicks up the energy levels.

My eating habits aren't perfect either. It's nice to fill in the gaps.

10. Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina Executive Producer

Definitely try exercising more. In your case since you were very active all throughout your youth & young adult life, your transition to a desk job is changing your body's biorhythms (or whatever you call it) in a negative manner. Happened to me a while back too (I'm 28 now). So I get some exercise by lifting a bit of weights at home, but mostly from playing the guitar because I sing and dance while playing it, and I work up a sweat by the time I'm done. That, over the last year or so, has boosted my energy levels in ways, and I have maintained a normal diet and have never used any supplements.

11. BrianW

BrianW Cinematographer

Brian
    According to my nutritionist wife, the body will absorb what it needs and dispense with the rest. If you have a varied, healthy diet, you probably don’t need them.

Vitamins are either fat soluble or water soluble. Take more than you need of the water-soluble vitamins (like C), and your body will eliminate them in your urine in very short order. Take more than you need of the fat-soluble vitamins, and your body will have a much more difficult time eliminating the excess, which is why megadoses of fat-soluble vitamins can be toxic.

If you stick to the “One-A-Day” or other non-megadose daily multi-vitamin, you’re doing yourself some good if you’re diet is lacking. And if you have a good diet, the doses are such that you probably won’t be hurting yourself any while guaranteeing that you fill in the occasional vitamin deficiency gaps we all tend to suffer on “ice cream day” or “bag of Doritos day.”

12. Janna S

Janna S Second Unit

I'd be looking at things in addition to nutrition and exercise and supplements. Have you considered that you might be depressed or under too much stress? Exhaustion, lethargy, sleep disruption, all can be attributed to depression.

13. BrianW

BrianW Cinematographer

Brian
    Janna and others bring up some good points. Nutrients are not the same as vitamins, and exercise is key to maintaining energy and metabolic rate. If you are saddled with a desk job (as I am), you must make it a priority to get some exercise. Even a little goes a long way.

14. Jason_H

Jason_H Second Unit

Vitamins have made my life much easier for a specific reason. In college I used to get horrible migraine headaches every few weeks. I used to live in constant fear that I would get one on a really important day, it sucked because they would TOTALLY incapacitate me. Then my mom read some study that a large percentage of people who get migraines are deficient in vitamin B-12 and magnesium. I didn't really believe it, but I was ready to try anything. Sure enough, I've only gotten one migraine since then (a few years ago) and it was when I got too lax in taking my vitamins.
    Plus, as mentioned before, I now enjoy ELECTRIC yellow urine. So bright it hurts my eyes...[​IMG] On the other hand, I saw another study that taking too much of the B-100 supplements is not supposed to be good for you at ALL. I usually take a B-50 every 4 to 5 days.

15. Wayne Murphy

Wayne Murphy Stunt Coordinator

I talked to a nurse one time about pills and they call a lot of the vitamins out there bedpan bullets.
    She suggested checking you vitamins by putting them in some vinegar for a couple of hours and see if they disolve. If not they are a complete waste.
    On a another note there is Doctor Joel Wallach who insists we are really short on minerals. He makes the interesting point that if a crop is on a certain piece of land for many years it begins to leach out of the soil all of the minerals. How many farms have been in the same place for over 50 years? How many minerals are left? Yes they fertilize but only with the 3 ingredients that plants need to get big.
    Here's a link to his stuff. He'll send you a tape of his lecture to explain it all.
    http://www.elementsofhealth.com/b2.htm

16. Tomoko Noguchi

Tomoko Noguchi Second Unit

Well, I had a very high LDL last year. I started taking fish oil pills and garlic, combined with pysllium later in the day, and the LDL has gone down. My overall cholesterol went down from 170 to 140.

17. Jefferson

Jefferson Supporting Actor

"Bedpan bullets"
    Brilliant! LOL
    Just what my microbiologist friend said.
    But, i like the idea above about "chewables"...

18. Dennis Nicholls

Dennis Nicholls Lead Actor

Dennis

19. AaronNWilson

AaronNWilson Second Unit

Try doing 60 situps and about 40 pushups everyday before you head off for work, preferably before you get in the shower [​IMG]. That should give you a decent boost in energy levels.

20. Walt N

Walt N Second Unit

I take the standard Men's One-A-Day vitamins. I'd heard about the "dissolve" test somewhere so I dropped one into a glass of water. Within a couple of hours it had completely dissolved so I assume I'm getting something out of them.