What's new

Do MP3s ruin your hearing? (1 Viewer)

John Thomas

Senior HTF Member
A man in Germany did some research on this, detailing how he thinks that listening to MP3s and other lossy audio storage formats can ruin your hearing.

Here's the article:
Link

He states that listening to compressed music over a long period might destroy some of the brain's 'compensation circuits' responsible for filtering our hearing, leading to tinnitus and other hearing ailments.

Interesting stuff at least.

Carl Johnson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl III
If listening to compressed music damages hearing then watching compressed video will make you go blind.

Todd Hochard

Senior HTF Member
I can say that listening to that shrill, airy tone that accompanies most overcompressed music gives me a headache in short order.

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
So, will watching pictures and videos of scantily clad pretty men and pretty women make everyone look beautiful? Or will it cause the opposite effect?

Blah.

By that logic, Reader's Digest damages peoples' ability to comprehend unabridged works of literature. Oh wait, that might be true...

If listening to compressed audio damages your hearing, then the cacophony of a Chinese restaurant during Chinese New Year's should make you deaf. All those conversations compressed into a small space, y'know?

The author of the article says mp3 playback exacerbates his tinnitus. I suggest that he'd have the same result if he listened to his scratchy old phono records.

The article rambles on about the price of CDs as well. It didn't make much sense to me. He didn't cite any links or research on tinnitus and what causes it. His analysis is incomplete, and he has no reproduceable data that illustrate the effect.

In other words, what a load of crap.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
It's unscientific horse hockey, similar to the nonsensical claims that all digital audio causes "stress" in the human body.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks