What's new

Do most HDTV's do 60hz or 59.94hz? (1 Viewer)

Richard Paul

Stunt Coordinator
Since ATSC standards allows for both integer frames per second such as 24fps, 30fps, and 60fps along with NTSC's whacky 29.97fps, which was expanded to allow 23.976fps and 59.94fps, what do most HDTV's display at? Do most CRT displays do 59.94hz while LCD, DLP and Plasmas do 60hz or is it manafacturer dependent? Also with an analog component connection what rates are commonly used, integer or non-integer?

Chuck Edwards

Auditioning
Consumer HDTV displays follow the frame/field rate transmitted, which is 59.94 (to maintain compatibility with NTSC).

Richard Paul

Stunt Coordinator
I always assumed that LCD, DLP, and Plasma displays had a display rate of 60hz. Does that mean that all current ATSC tuners are incapable of converting 59.94hz to 60hz since there are no HDTVs that currently do 60hz? I hope that the HDTV compatibilty with NTSC frame rates doesn't extend beyond the lifetime of NTSC broadcasts. The future of HDTV was suppose to be 1080p/60hz at exactly 24 or 30 frames per second (though within 10 years I'm hoping for 1080p at 60fps on a pre-recorded medium). The only reason that they put the NTSC frame rates in HDTV is because of the transition between NTSC and HDTV. After the transition which will probably take till 2010 the NTSC frame rates for HDTV were suppose to be retired, or were they really meant to be used for the lifetime of ATSC broadcasts?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks