What's new

Do most DVD players generate close captions nowadays? (1 Viewer)

rbirk

Stunt Coordinator
My Toshiba 3109 DVD players stopped recognizing all my DVDs the other night, so I thought it was time to get a new player. I got the Toshiba 4800 and was very pleasantly surprised that this DVD player can generate close captions and not only standard subtitles. That way the display device doesn't need a close captions decoder.

I am very happy about this as I want to buy a projector in the future and most projectors don't seem to have close captions decoders. So, do most DVD players nowadays have this feature or is this something specific to Toshiba? I cannot find any information about this on Toshiba or other manufacturers' web sites, so that is why I am asking.

Ron Birk

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
Ron,
I've had several Sonys, a JVC, 2 Panasonics, and tried 3 older model Toshibas. None would do CC decoding.

My tv doesn't seem to be able to do CC on progressive scan sources, either, but will do it if playing the dvd in interlaced via S-video.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
First one I've heard of. I'd say it's part of the demand from other countries where they don't have CC for unsubtitled US discs, or if they have no CC system in place for their deaf.

Ian Montgomerie

Stunt Coordinator
Having the player itself directly decode closed captioning is verrrry uncommon. A large number of players won't even output closed captioning for the TV to decode.

Ken Chan

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken
A couple more points to consider:

- Some PC-based players (like PowerDVD) will decode closed captions, so if you have a HTPC driving your projector, that's an option.

- While closed captions are supposed to be for the hearing impaired and contain stuff like "[Telephone rings]", it seems like more and more subtitles nowadays have the exact same text, so it's not an issue.

//Ken

Jerry Dreiss

Stunt Coordinator
Having the player itself directly decode closed captioning is verrrry uncommon. A large number of players won't even output closed captioning for the TV to decode.
I was messing around with my new Loewe Aconda TV and when I hit mute it not only muted the audio but turned on the close captioning. The thing is I was watching a DVD at the time using my ancient Toshiba SD-3006.
Very cool.

David Susilo

Screenwriter
actually, MOST North American DVD player WILL pass-through CC. I haven't seen any major brand that doesn't do that since 1999.

Mike Click

Stunt Coordinator
Congratulations on your SD-4800 I have one, I like the disapearing icon on zoom.
Now on my Bee-Gees: One Night Only Vhs will do captions, but the disc will not.
I used CC on concerts, many tunes you don't quite catch, the correct words that the singer is singing. I have only used them for a deaf relative, other wise if it wasn't a concert, it would never be used.

rbirk

Stunt Coordinator
I should also mention that now I am using the DVD players generated closed captions as it has transparent background, while my Toshiba TV has black background.

Overall I am very happy with this player, however there is one featire I really miss from my 3109 player. It has a Display button where you quickly could see the info about the DVD like time left, (both title and chapter), time played, audo format, subtitle info etc. All in one play.

Ron

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks