Do modern 27" tube TVs have 16x9 mode?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Philip Hamm, Jan 4, 2002.

1. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

Specifically I'm interested in knowing about the JVC AV-27F702. I would think that with the advent of DVD all modern TVs, especially ones with component video, have this feature. Am I insane?

2. MichaelG

MichaelG Second Unit

Not sure about the JVC (I thought I read somewhere that it does have 16:9 mode) but I know that some of the Sony's do because my girlfriends mother has one. I can't remember the model number though.

I think you are correct about the correlation between Component Video input and 16:9 mode for direct view sets, unless that again is only consistent with Sony.

3. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

The presence of component inputs is no guarantee of a user menu 16/9 mode!!
    Lots of Toshibas have component inputs but no 16/9 mode, as do many other makes.
    All Sony Wegas 27" and larger have it. I believe the JVC flatscreens do too. Sharp makes a 27" flatscreen that has a widescreen mode that I've seen retailing for $495.
    Do not buy a set assuming there's a 16/9 mode until you actually make it work on the store demo.

4. Neil White

Neil White Supporting Actor

I've got a 13" Sony about 2 years old that you can do the 16:9 squeeze via the service menu (just one value change, not a bunch of tweaking to fake it). Just thought that was interesting given the puny screen size. Sorry Philip, don't have an answer to your question.
    BTW - that 13" is not in my HT setup [​IMG]
    N