Do many X-Box games use the center channel in DD 5.1?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Justin Ward, Dec 28, 2002.

1. Justin Ward

Justin Ward Supporting Actor

I got an X-box for Christmas. I also got a Paradigm CC-170 for Christmas. After setting up my X-box I exprimented with the surround use on a few games(Simpsons road rage, Dead to Rights, Jet Set Radio Future, Sega GT2002).
    Overall the sound was great. However, something was missing.... I realized no sound was coming from the center speaker in Dead to Rights. At first I thought I had not setup my new center speaker properly. I let the receiver play a test tone and it sounded right, and movies sounded right as well. So my center is working correctly.
    In JSRF there is a little center channel use but in all other games there seems to be none! Are many X-box games 5.1 or are they actually 4.1 or 4.0? I also planning on buying the games Unreal Championship and Ghost Recon, do they use the center speaker?
    Thanks for any advice

2. Michael St. Clair

I never really notice. If the audio balance is fine, I don't find 4.1 any different than 5.1. My system images well and I sit in the sweet spot when gaming.

If the system is imaging well, you shouldn't hear specific speakers, just a large, seamless soundstage. Of course, this soundstage draws sound away from the center if you are sitting outside of the sweet spot. This is where the center is key.

3. Justin Ward

Thats what I noticed too. The lack of a center channel was not noticeable until I went away from my normal listening position.

4. Eric Samonte

Eric Samonte Screenwriter

I saw in ur list of games u don't have HALO. For God's sake what were u thinking? Xbox without HALO?!?!?!
    Ok just kidding but HALO is definitely 5.1, Cortana's "musings", instructions, etc. r all at the center channel. Rent it if ur not into FPS, but I can assure u it will get plenty of playtime. Its about the only game I still play although I finished it lots of times in Legendary....with multiple reloads of course.

5. James Zos

James Zos Supporting Actor

Yes, Halo is still the best Xbox game so far.

6. Justin Ward

I tried Halo and I did like it. However, I like fast paced Unreal Championship deathmatches a little more than those in Halo. I probably will get Halo evantually but UC and GR are more what I am looking for.

7. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

Halo is not that great a game. FPS games are usually bad on consoles. JSRF is a far better and more innovative title and has full 5.1 usage [​IMG]

8. Michael St. Clair

I sold my Halo. I might buy it for the PC when it comes out. I find consoles inferior for the typical 'freelooking' first-person shooter.

9. Calvin Watts III

Calvin Watts III Supporting Actor

In your opinion [​IMG]
    As far as I'm concerned, you PC folk can keep you mouse & keyboard right where they belong - on a PC.

10. James Zos

Halo is the first and so far the only FPS that I feel really excells on a console. I am a dedicated keyboard and mouse player, and if I had a keyboard and mouse for my xbox, I would use them because that is by far the best way to go.
    So it was no small thing for me to adapt to the Xbox controler with Halo, but I love it. It works as well as it could.

"JSRF is a far better and more innovative title."

More innovative, maybe, but way too simple for my tastes. I quickly grew bored of JSRF's gameplay, even though I know a lot of people on this forum love it. Halo, on the other hand, continues to surprise from level to level. On second thought, for a FPS, Halo IS pretty innovative. So you are wrong on both counts.

11. Eric C. Mylonas

Eric C. Mylonas Stunt Coordinator

Humor me: what makes Halo innovative?

12. Scott L

Scott L Producer

I'm guessing it's easier to do 4.1 since Xbox is using an MS OS and 4.1 is the norm for PC gaming. Halo makes poor use of the center and no matter how much you try to forget it the center is not being used on many of the games and that's a big con. [​IMG]
    But 007: Nightfire does use the center during gameplay and not just in cutscenes. I also heard Spiderman uses it and now JSRF from this thread. I wish there was a category for this in the 16:9/480p/DD survey thread.

13. James Zos

"Humor me: what makes Halo innovative?"

I'd say the first thing that really struck me about Halo was the extensive use of a variety of very untraditional vehicles, both on the ground in the air, played in a third-person view. There may have been other FPS that featured this around the time Halo was released, but I sure don't remember them.

Enemies. Just when you've gotten a little tired of the Covenant (which were always a little too cartoony/silly in my view) Halo throws a curveball at you in the form of the Flood. DEFINITELY not cartoon-looking and a kind of enemy, as far as I know, NEVER seen before in a FPS.

The realistic ability to only carry two weapons at a time. This forces the player to be very selective about which weapons they use, based on what enemies they may or may not encounter.

Split screen two-person co-op mode. There had been FPS on consoles before Halo, but can you name one that offered this feature? I can't.

Those are just a few off the top of my head.

14. Adam Nixon

Adam Nixon Second Unit

I believe Perfect Dark offered co-op, if I'm not mistaken. I didn't feel Halo was that innovative (other than the DD 5.1 implementation), but it's overall integration of those elements and POLISH is why it's a Grade "A" title.

From what I've read concerning Halo 2, it seems that Bungie has many intriguing ideas for melee and team play -- now that the game is being built ground-up for the X-box instead of converted, we'll probably see some more unique console features this time around.

15. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

16. James Zos

Correct me if I'm wrong, Jeff, but didn't Command and Conquer Renegade come out after Halo?

17. BrianB

BrianB Producer

It came out after Halo, but it was in development for years [​IMG]

18. Adam Nixon

Adam Nixon Second Unit

Jeff -- you're certainly entitled to your opinion, but I'll be absolutely amazed if you can find ANYONE on this board or elsewhere who also believes that Renegade is a better game than Halo.[​IMG]